Sign in to follow this  
panicandy

Working between C4D and AE

panicandy    0

Hi, I am learning how to create animations in cinema then composite in AE, I now have a very basic animation of a jet flying (

) I now would like to export this into AE and have a few questions about doing so.

Firstly which renderer should I use? I have been using physical as I would like to have motion blur for the jet, but it is much slower than standard. I'm not sure about render settings either, have left them at default and am exporting OpenEXR frames and planned to add AO and GI for final render.

Also how can I find out what camera settings to use to achieve realistic motion blur and DOF?

Also I'm not sure which multi-pass options I should be considering, I would like to composite on my jet to add thrust/glow. If I added thrust, or an explosion how I could get the environment to react to this lighting. I think I need to use the compositing tag and export a AEC with 3D data.

Thanks for the help.

westbam    41

You use the render that you feel gives the best image, it is that simple. You like the way Physical looks, cool use that.

Motion Blur and DOF are slow to render, no real way around it. You can do both faster in AE and have a lot more control.

GI and AO are something that you can only do inside C4D (I could be wrong here). But you can get an Ambient Occlusion Pass out, so you can kind of tweak it in post. Object buffers are used to mask out certain parts, people here like to use TIFF or PNG files.

Glows in Post, yes, you need to get those parts isolated. In AE post your models will not react as nice to lights as they would inside C4D, but with some clever masking and all the multipasses you might get a long way.

Many questions buddy, might wanna watch a few tutorials and just try, with short low res easy to test scenes.

panicandy    0
  • Topic Author
  • 58 minutes ago, westbam said:

You use the render that you feel gives the best image, it is that simple. You like the way Physical looks, cool use that.

Motion Blur and DOF are slow to render, no real way around it. You can do both faster in AE and have a lot more control.

GI and AO are something that you can only do inside C4D (I could be wrong here). But you can get an Ambient Occlusion Pass out, so you can kind of tweak it in post. Object buffers are used to mask out certain parts, people here like to use TIFF or PNG files.

Glows in Post, yes, you need to get those parts isolated. In AE post your models will not react as nice to lights as they would inside C4D, but with some clever masking and all the multipasses you might get a long way.

Many questions buddy, might wanna watch a few tutorials and just try, with short low res easy to test scenes.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to render 720p for my testing, and I will try to find some tutorials. I will look into using AE for DOF, do I need to use AO and GI together for final render? I added a external compositing tag to my ship (a null with the ship comprised of 5 parts underneath), but whenever I try and open it in After Effects its a blank .aec (3kb size) file with a camera and it's resolution is 800x600 & 3s long, whereas my render resolution is 1280x720 and I am rendering a range of 30 frames from my project, not sure what I am doing wrong.

panicandy    0
  • Topic Author
  • I have fixed my issue with the .aec file, I updated my cinema 4d to after effects plugin. I tried making the entire ship a null but this isn't working for my idea. I would like to attach a invisible object (like a null in AE) to my ship in C4D so I can use it in AE and add say a particle trail. I cannot seem to find the thrusters as individual objects so I cannot add a external compositing tag to them, I need to choose the 3D position to export. I can add a picture if that helps.

Thanks.

Update: I have used xpresso to attach a null to a thruster via a point node, it is sticking in Cinema, but I also added external compositing for this new null and it is not working correctly in AE, it is like as if the position cannot update quick enough (need more keyframes or more change) Also realized that I would like scale to work (my scene is the jet flying past into the distance) so I am trying to composite on a thrust effect, but it appears scale is not keyframed.

Edited by panicandy
    update