gallagher

My splines have no point mode

gallagher    0

I'm trying to create paths for a cylinder object to travel along

the schilling I have is basically made up from individual splines. It's a bit like match sticks but none are connected

im having difficulty connecting the match sticks to make a path for the cylinder to travel along

what I am seeing for the interface is an orange crop box around each spline when I select.  This tells me that it's an object. The spline seems to have no points.  

So how do I connect these matchsticks so the cyclinder will flow up and down nicely

please help

digitvisions    59

Hi, if you can upload the file or a screenshot it will be easier to identify the problems and try to help you.

gallagher    0
  • Topic Author
  • you can find the screenshot of the splines although I don't think their splines.  I think they are objects

you can find the screenshot where I wrote on the topic a day before.  

Can an you search my name and get up the topics

gallagher    0
  • Topic Author
  • Yeah sorry I think it would have been better if I just gave you the topic name

ladders by gallagher

Vizn    42

Jeebus.. 

1 hour ago, gallagher said:

you can find the screenshot of the splines although I don't think their splines.  I think they are objects

you can find the screenshot where I wrote on the topic a day before.  

Can an you search my name and get up the topics

Cerbera    1,271

What is going on here then ? I answered OP's original 'Ladders' topic when he posted it, but he didn't reply. Now there are 2 more topics on the same thing. This is not how forums are meant to work ! @gallagher should find his original post, add anything new there, then delete these 2 duplicates.

As I explained last time, in that original post, you cannot combine splines as you wish because a spline can only have two connections.

CBR

gallagher    0
  • Topic Author
  • I've searched YouTube for the weld tool. I thought that would get the result I'm looking for.  Why is it the matchsticks splines have no point mode.  Would this make them objects.  I just can't see why when I created the structure I used splines.  All I want to do is weld one line to the other.  It can't be that difficult surely.  Fingers crossed for an answer

Cerbera    1,271
    1 hour ago, gallagher said:

I've searched YouTube for the weld tool. I thought that would get the result I'm looking for.  Why is it the matchsticks splines have no point mode.  Would this make them objects.  I just can't see why when I created the structure I used splines.  All I want to do is weld one line to the other.  It can't be that difficult surely.  Fingers crossed for an answer

It's not difficult. Weld does work on spline points, which your splines will have, although perhaps only 2 of them per spline. Go into points mode to see them. Note that before weld can work, the splines will have to be a single object, which you can achieve using 'Connect and Delete'. However, the point I have made 3 times now, and you seem to be not listening to it, is that you can only connect one spline point to one other, so no 3 way joins like you had in the reference pic given in your original thread.

CBR

gallagher    0
  • Topic Author
  • problem is when I select the spline stroke object I get an orange crop.  I hear you saying this is just the selector selecting.  But I have no other options like point mode. Like I say I can't understand why I can't access point mode.  Maybe I should up load the file.  Would you be able to take a look at the file and tell me why I don't have the point mode as I need this to weld.  I don't want to three way connect.  I understand a splines end point can be welded to the spline end point.   I have splines that naturally meet up like a square it's just the four sides to the square need to be linked. And it seems a simple weld should do the trick.  I think. 

gallagher    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks very much for your input by the way.  A very useful and powerful tool this forum

Cerbera    1,271

Yep - upload the file and I'll take a look. We also need to know how you want the cylinder to move along it, so some more detail about that would be helpful.

CBR