VECTOR    393

From time to time i'll go back to an older project or character to improve it some, or just to develop it a little further, Steven was a character i came up with when i first started 3d so he's been through a few different incarnations this one being the latest, C&C welcome.  

5a25c8ab4c6ca_rendertest3lowblk.thumb.jpg.8c5b59c00317202240dbaa2eb2a6fedb.jpg5a25c8bf24881_rendertest3lowred.thumb.jpg.49df379414e8cd8c413b26114e8d3e32.jpg

c1.thumb.jpg.cf68516a2acc0971edeb126e474b0150.jpgc2.thumb.jpg.fbef326cb0950a11cce0ee5fdca2a9d5.jpgc3.thumb.jpg.ec0b21a0494434fb7bba976ae9f55764.jpgc4.thumb.jpg.acfd463d6651322786617233a7a6c1cb.jpg

5a25c8eed0d65_wire1.thumb.jpg.52ffd10cfe3830d1fcc632ed87c7a1ca.jpg5a25c8f272953_wire2.thumb.jpg.3f251f9012f5e996f46df27b49b10c63.jpg5a25c8f7076f2_wire3.thumb.jpg.0cc8b09897f182b1f623befd36156a77.jpg5a25c8fa50df8_wire4.thumb.jpg.0c66def0ac472b944019888f75b0d8e1.jpg

• Like 2

Cerbera    1,274

Love it. Not one polygon more than necessary :)

CBR

VECTOR    393
  • Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Love it. Not one polygon more than necessary :)

CBR

:) starting to get the hang of this modelling lark!

VECTOR    393
  • Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

He's cool, another one for the 3D print list!

i actually think he would print quite easily, apart from the eyes, legs and collar it's all 1 continuous mesh 

TheJimReaper    25
    57 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

i actually think he would print quite easily, apart from the eyes, legs and collar it's all 1 continuous mesh 

Looking at the images I think it would be a really easy print.  Although the collar is separate, as long as none of it's polys are intersecting with those around Steven's neck they can stay where they are.  It might need a little persuasion to un-stick it.  The legs could be printed separately with holes made in Steven for them to be pushed into.  That just leaves the eyes which would be an easy fix.

VECTOR    393
  • Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, TheJimReaper said:

Looking at the images I think it would be a really easy print.  Although the collar is separate, as long as none of it's polys are intersecting with those around Steven's neck they can stay where they are.  It might need a little persuasion to un-stick it.  The legs could be printed separately with holes made in Steven for them to be pushed into.  That just leaves the eyes which would be an easy fix.

oh and the tail feathers are separate too forgot about those but shouldn't be too difficult to modify those so they slot in at the back some how only thing I'm thinking is would the legs be strong enough to support his weight 

digitvisions    59

Perfection at it's best. Steven came along ways since his early days. Never mind printing, I think he needs to be animated.:slysmile:

VECTOR    393
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, digitvisions said:

Perfection at it's best. Steven came along ways since his early days. Never mind printing, I think he needs to be animated.:slysmile:

Ah, he has, thank you very much DV i'm not animator though :(

TheJimReaper    25
    1 hour ago, VECTOR said:

oh and the tail feathers are separate too forgot about those but shouldn't be too difficult to modify those so they slot in at the back some how only thing I'm thinking is would the legs be strong enough to support his weight 

Yeah they should do, you'd be surprised how strong PLA is when it's printed.  The vase that I've posted pictures of  has walls that are approx. 0.3mm thick! It's hard to describe how strong it is. It'd take a lot of huffing and puffing on my part to brake the walls!

It looks pretty well balanced in the pictures, but without the base I might be a tad concerned about it staying upright.  But that's something you're not really going to know until it's printed.

When making the holes for the feet and tail feathers to slot in, you need to leave a gap between the wall of the hole and whatever you're slotting into it.  I've found around 0.75mm to 1mm does it. Any less and you struggle to get the parts in and can brake them, too much more and it can wobble and fall out!

VECTOR    393
  • Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

Yeah they should do, you'd be surprised how strong PLA is when it's printed.  The vase that I've posted pictures of  has walls that are approx. 0.3mm thick! It's hard to describe how strong it is. It'd take a lot of huffing and puffing on my part to brake the walls!

It looks pretty well balanced in the pictures, but without the base I might be a tad concerned about it staying upright.  But that's something you're not really going to know until it's printed.

When making the holes for the feet and tail feathers to slot in, you need to leave a gap between the wall of the hole and whatever you're slotting into it.  I've found around 0.75mm to 1mm does it. Any less and you struggle to get the parts in and can brake them, too much more and it can wobble and fall out!

:D yea i gave him purposely larger feet for that reason :D i imagine making them a little tighter would give more room to play with ( you could subtly file down the area to fit) also to compensate for any shrinkage for the parts printed seperate)   i've got a christmas themed horror toy in mind, although it's gonna be a lot of work, so i'm not sure whether to undertake it or not :D