Foroloca

Merge into one objects remove the rest

Foroloca    1

I have to cube shapes rotated at an angle and connect both parametric cubes into one object/polygon expecting that they would merge and so creating one object. I tried to stitch and drag, remove some polygons and close the hole but without succes. Must be super simple, but sometimes i get stuck with something so simple and i think to difficult what the solution is. Anyone can help me on the way? Thank you

Screenshot_01.png

Screenshot_02.png

maliohammad    271

It can be fixed with some normal modeling .

Do you have an idea about polygonal modeling ?

Cerbera    1,271
5 hours ago, Foroloca said:

I tried to stitch and drag, remove some polygons and close the hole but without succes.

That's not the way to combine objects. You need to select the objects together in the object manager, and then r-click / 'connect and delete' which will make them all one object, although it won't connect points. You shouldn't connect the points in this situation, because you have overlapping / intersecting geometry (top beam), so your only way to fix it would be with boolean union, or (far better technique) to model it properly out of a single object by using regular polygon modelling, or (parametric solution) to sweep a profile spline along another straight one...

CBR

Foroloca    1
  • Topic Author
  • 57 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That's not the way to combine objects. You need to select the objects together in the object manager, and then r-click / 'connect and delete' which will make them all one object, although it won't connect points. You shouldn't connect the points in this situation, because you have overlapping / intersecting geometry (top beam), so your only way to fix it would be with boolean union, or (far better technique) to model it properly out of a single object by using regular polygon modelling, or (parametric solution) to sweep a profile spline along another straight one...

CBR

Hi Thanks for your help. I did use the ‘connect’ / ‘connect and delete’ with the understanding it will merge into one without overlapping. In example is only the top beam ‘cube 9’ where I have this issue

Cerbera    1,271
    4 minutes ago, Foroloca said:

with the understanding it will merge into one without overlapping.

Yep - that understanding is wrong. Connect and Delete never combines vertices or merges meshes with each other.

CBR