Zmotive

XP4 Techniques Thread

Now that XP4 has been released, it makes sense to have a thread where we can ask questions / get first impressions.

Has anyone received their copy and upgraded yet? 

I got my serials yesterday. Haven’t had a ton of time, but found a short window to play around with the circle packer, cellular automata, topology-based emissions, and openvdb mesher.  All very cool and capable of great results.  However, the mesher seems to have inverted normals or something that’s resulting in weird-looking renders, when using refractive or SSS materials - at least with Redshift.  I have yet to try it with cycles4D or others. 

Also, kind of a shame that the mesher doesn’t take particle color data like the “deprecated” xpSkinner did (does - it’s still there). 

I’m looking forward to trying out some of the other new features over the next couple of days.  

• Like 1

I've had a quick blast with the Circle Packer. I'll post something shortly. Found a way for Redshift to get the colour data that circlepacker and Emitter gives each particle

I have started to play with it and wondered what the general impression people had of the update. overall... it's pretty amazing. I have played with the explosive part (don't lie - it's the first thing we all did after installing it!) and I'm a little let down. It might just be me not understanding it yet though. I still find turbulence FD much faster rendering and better looking with less work. I am hoping I am wrong, but can you use XP emitter as an explosia emitting object like you can in turbulence? I took it for granted that was going to be the case.  I have played with some of the new liquid modes and like them a lot! 

On 13.12.2017 at 10:35 PM, CApruzzese said:

I have started to play with it and wondered what the general impression people had of the update. overall... it's pretty amazing. I have played with the explosive part (don't lie - it's the first thing we all did after installing it!) and I'm a little let down. It might just be me not understanding it yet though. I still find turbulence FD much faster rendering and better looking with less work. I am hoping I am wrong, but can you use XP emitter as an explosia emitting object like you can in turbulence? I took it for granted that was going to be the case.  I have played with some of the new liquid modes and like them a lot! 

sure you can. EFX source tag goes to emitter (groups are not supported), just take care particles provide at least some fuel (emitter -> extended data)

• Like 1

On 7.12.2017 at 7:40 AM, nerv said:

Also, kind of a shame that the mesher doesn’t take particle color data like the “deprecated” xpSkinner did (does - it’s still there). 

think these are technical reasons. If you need different colours within one mesh, XPskinner is the only way to go for ...

OVDBmesher is using volumes and these don´t provide any colour information I´m afraid.

1 hour ago, Lotharmai said:

sure you can. EFX source tag goes to emitter (groups are not supported), just take care particles provide at least some fuel (emitter -> extended data)

going to try that now! 

Just did... it works and it really got me closer to what I want. I am used to using Turbulence and getting nice billowing clouds and not getting them with  Xparticles but it seems I know more what to do now. The gaseous texture renders slower than turbulence still but I'm working on that as well. 

merci! 

Simple problem I keep having but can't seem to fix, when I use the skinner function for fluids and the fluids are say, filling a bowl, the fluid will eventually soak through the bowl, If it was the effect I wanted, it's actually pretty cool. No matter what technique I use, it eventually escapes whatever container it's going into. I am convinced I am just being stupid about one basic setting. Has anyone else had this problem? I doesn't always happen if I'm not using the skinner function. 

Not on a computer with XP4 on it I'm sorry, but have you tried increasing the subframe steps settings, which you'll find in Edit>Project Settings under the X-Particles tab.

2 hours ago, ABMotion said:

Not on a computer with XP4 on it I'm sorry, but have you tried increasing the subframe steps settings, which you'll find in Edit>Project Settings under the X-Particles tab.

yup! no effect. I have tried the new fluid tags to se how they work and I get the same thing! I know i'm missing something basic. I will try and make a test file to upload. Maybe I'm not the only person with this problem and then there will be a record of wha tit is and how to fix hopefully. 

did you read the hints from the manual ?  Difficult to say without a scene file, however  fluid fx is different from the other fluid options.

Take care that collider getting fluidfx collider tag is subdivided enough and don´t try thin walls. Use an invisible proxy with rather thick walls to get the engine enough calculations that speedy particles can be detected as colliding. So increasing  substeps is a good way as well...

I did, but not as close as I should of. In any case, I've updated to to the latest build and the problem isn't there as much. I seems I could fix it with just a few more  subframe steps now. 

I really need to look more into the new fluid solvers more deeply. I tend to play with thing s and not get too far into them until I need them for something and then kick myself I didn't learn more earlier. My new animation will have things like blood flowing on a street, waves crashing against a giant rock. a ship on fire and some other things x particles will be useful for I think. 

xparticle fluid test.c4d