Zmotive    57

Now that XP4 has been released, it makes sense to have a thread where we can ask questions / get first impressions.

Has anyone received their copy and upgraded yet? 

nerv    278

I got my serials yesterday. Haven’t had a ton of time, but found a short window to play around with the circle packer, cellular automata, topology-based emissions, and openvdb mesher.  All very cool and capable of great results.  However, the mesher seems to have inverted normals or something that’s resulting in weird-looking renders, when using refractive or SSS materials - at least with Redshift.  I have yet to try it with cycles4D or others. 

Also, kind of a shame that the mesher doesn’t take particle color data like the “deprecated” xpSkinner did (does - it’s still there). 

I’m looking forward to trying out some of the other new features over the next couple of days.  

• Like 1

SKaiser    23

I've had a quick blast with the Circle Packer. I'll post something shortly. Found a way for Redshift to get the colour data that circlepacker and Emitter gives each particle

CApruzzese    60

I have started to play with it and wondered what the general impression people had of the update. overall... it's pretty amazing. I have played with the explosive part (don't lie - it's the first thing we all did after installing it!) and I'm a little let down. It might just be me not understanding it yet though. I still find turbulence FD much faster rendering and better looking with less work. I am hoping I am wrong, but can you use XP emitter as an explosia emitting object like you can in turbulence? I took it for granted that was going to be the case.  I have played with some of the new liquid modes and like them a lot!