Greatszalam

MODERNIZING AND MOVING FORWARD R20

Greatszalam    75

MODERNIZING AND MOVING FORWARD

As we shared last year, we’ve been working hard behind the scenes to transition Cinema 4D to a new, modern core architecture.

In order to move forward, it’s sometimes going to be necessary to streamline some aspects of Cinema 4D. We’ll be discontinuing support for some “legacy” features that would be difficult to maintain or simply don’t make sense as we modernize. Rest assured, we don’t take any of these decisions lightly and will do everything we can to both ensure that better alternatives exist and you’ve got time to prepare.

Features that will be trimmed in late 2018 with the launch of Release 20:

C.O.F.F.E.E.

Cinema 4D’s first and native scripting language launched a vibrant developer community, but Cinema 4D’s robust Python API now provides a much better industry-standard alternative. Cinema 4D’s Python API is much more extensive and the common language makes it easy to integrate scripts from other applications. C.O.F.F.E.E. scripts, tags, nodes, and effectors will no longer be available in Release 20, but Python alternatives exist in all cases.

.c4d importer for R4 - R11.5

We’ve always worked hard to ensure Cinema 4D is both forwards and backward compatible, but Release 12 marked major changes to Cinema 4D’s internal data structures. As we move towards the next major change, we have to remove the option to import files from versions earlier than R12.

Cinema 4D XML Format

This XML-based file format was one of MAXON’s first attempts to make it possible to easily exchange data with other apps. Since then we’ve introduced the Melange library, which allows third-party developers like Adobe, Archicad, Vectorworks, Ventuz, VizRT, AMD, Speedtree, and more to read, write and render Cinema 4D files natively.

Bridge to Okino Polytrans

Okino Polytrans offers fantastic conversion between 3D and CAD formats, and we jointly developed a bridge that made that conversion possible from within Cinema 4D. Since then Okino has added direct support for .c4d files via Melange, and this direct exchange within their app offers higher-quality results.

Cineman

This export to RenderMan / RIB is no longer compatible with current RenderMan versions.

Softimage - BodyPaint 3D exchange plugin

This plugin has become obsolete due to Autodesk’s discontinuation of Softimage in 2014.

c4d_preview Third-Party API

This specific API was used for BodyPaint bitmap filters that are not compatible with the media classes introduced in Release 19.  

Our goal is always to maintain Cinema 4D’s legendary ease of use and stability while improving your capabilities and workflow so you can achieve your creative visions. Leaving these legacy elements behind enables our development team to focus on future development, deliver innovative new features and enhance Cinema 4D in general.

Icecaveman    66

I was expected some meaningful casualties, but nothing in that list seems notable for my work. I suspect for many of us the bigger casualties will be plugins that will die or require purchase of a new version.

Visionnext    71

For me it's perfectly fine to get rid of some of these old and mostly obsolete features. Personally i don't need them anyway.

Nevertheless I would love to get a bit information in which areas R20 will improve.

Greatszalam    75
  • Topic Author
  • The only issue for me is some of the little C.O.F.F.E.E scripts I use. Not a big deal though. More modern is better!

3DKiwi    319

Sort of confirms R20 is the one we've been waiting for. I recall from my Beta testing days that COFFEE's days were numbered. I'm surprised they didn't drop it before now. I guess because it still worked and didn't need any upkeep they kept it in.

HSrdelic    654
    16 hours ago, Greatszalam said:

The only issue for me is some of the little C.O.F.F.E.E scripts I use. Not a big deal though. More modern is better!

R20 will work in legacy mode with C.O.F.F.E.E scenes as a read only, but you won't be able to edit anything related to it. It will be displayed so users can port it to Python but C.O.F.F.E.E code won't be executed anymore.

Fastbee    53

Remember to resave R11.5 and before as R19 before upgrading to R20.  For me C.O.F.F.E.E is a little problem, but I should probably learn a little python anyway.

Really looking forward to R20 being the big one.

Isleofgough    7

I am really happy to see this announcement, as it suggests that the core architecture will indeed be changed with R20. While I love other 3D programs (zbrush, 3d coat, houdini), I would like to continue with C4D for its ease of use and stability. For basic 3D modeling and animation, I always come back to C4D.

• Like 1

thanulee    3

Maybe is a bit early to ask, but this means multithreading is on?! This is the main (of course not the only) difference between houdini and c4d in my opinion and would be a total game changer. 

Zmotive    57
    4 hours ago, thanulee said:

Maybe is a bit early to ask, but this means multithreading is on?! This is the main (of course not the only) difference between houdini and c4d in my opinion and would be a total game changer. 

I don't think you can make the logical jump from the list at the top of the thread being removed to "lots of things will be multi-threaded in C4D with R20." Multi-threading is not related to any of those things, in the sense of being dependent upon them (not being there). Any multi-threaded function has to be re-written and optimized such that its operations can be divided among numerous CPUs — that's the real challenge, not removing other stuff AFAIK. 

More than likely the things being removed are simply to clean up the code base now that the functionality has been replaced with other technologies (Python, Melange, etc), or in some cases are just obsolete. Removing them possibly might result in benefits like faster launch times, increased stability (i.e. reduced opportunity for conflicts, dependancy issues, etc).

But I hope MAXON keeps the updates coming more than once every six months. If this is to be a big release it is to their benefit to feed us some blogitude every couple months leading up to release, to get the buzz going, etc. Keeps us interested and optimistic as well.

• Like 1

thanulee    3
    9 hours ago, Zmotive said:

I don't think you can make the logical jump from the list at the top of the thread being removed to "lots of things will be multi-threaded in C4D with R20."

Eg. Very logical assumption, "lets remove stuff that we dont wanna rewrite to be multithreaded" 
    U act like u wouldnt want that btw :P chill bro haha