lasagna

Character Binding issues

lasagna    0

Hey guys so im pretty new to Cinema 4d and I've been having some issues with binding & animating my character, the legs work fine and i can even animate a walk cycle but the upper body and arms are completely useless? I've rebuilt the rig 5 or so times and i cannot figure out the issue here and would love some feedback. 

here is the project file http://www.mediafire.com/file/3gu4nk3q3qaa06g/for_review.zip 

Rectro    536

Hi

I had a quick look without going into much depth, and there are some very important things you have missed, and that start with modelling.  This mesh is not suitable for animation its a mess to put it bluntly.  You need to forget about rigging and animation if you intend to use your own models like this, and learn how to model correctly.

Second issue is the scale of the mesh, its way too big unless you wanted it to be over 4 meters tall, thats a 14 foot tall person.  While you can make a giant in C4D lighting, hair, dynamics will all react different and unless you intended to make a 14 feet giant, get the character down to real world scale, but not this one, the mesh is no good for animation, too many polygons, too many triangles. tons of polls where 1 verticy is shared by 5 or more polygons, and stretched triangles, some over lapping.

The model needs to be constructed with care and attention to form and function.  For form you need to have some basic anatomy understanding and have some kind of plan, or design.  For function you need to have animation ready limbs with loops of edges in the right places, elbows, shoulder, knees, groin, ankles.

Third issue is you have a double skinned mesh meaning you have  the body and clothed as the same mesh one on top of the other.  The clothes either need to be dynamically driven as a separate object not something C4D does well, or you do away with the main body and keep just the clothes, head, hands, and feet.  C4D comes with some example rigged characters that show this.  You can have clothes over the top of a body but it makes weighting harder and is only needed if you intend to change clothing for the character.

Model starting with a low polygon mesh keeping it clean free of Ngons, Triangles where possible especially at bending points of limbs/articulation.  Get the mesh the right scale, symmetrical, and in zero world space.  Go for either the body naked, or the clothes with no body.  Place all joints in the centre of the mesh limbs not placing spine towards the back of the body like a real body.

Dan

• Like 2

lasagna    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hey Dan, 

Thanks for the quick reply, i suspected i would have to scrap the entire model but i wanted to be sure i wasn't just doing something else wrong with the rig before i started fresh. This was my first try at rigging a character and i really threw them together while learning how to use the software so this feedback is extra helpful and exactly what i needed. I'll probably keep this mesh around as a background character if i ever need a giant. 

Thanks,

Myles

Rectro    536

Myles.  Without knowing it now, your actually taking on a huge task which takes years of training and experience often done by a team dedicated to their own skill set.  Thats not to say you cant become a generalist but even most generalists have a skill that they are particularly good at.

If your main aim is to become an animator your still need to have a very good understanding of the structure of a 3d model required to rig it, so your have to at least get your hands on some good models to examine their structure and have a good theory of polygon modelling, and even then id say you still need to have done some modelling.  Im a modeller, Digital sculptor, and wont say im anything more than that, but I can rig a character from scratch to get half decent results, but Im certainly no animator, thats another thing altogether especially for character animation.  The character tool in C4D is only in the Studio version, so you must be using Studio which is not shown in your profile, may want to update that if you now use Studio.  The character tool is great, it gets the job done fast but again some rigging knowledge is a huge advantage otherwise how do you know if the weighting is wrong, or if its the bad topology of the model, or have you placed the joints in the wrong place.

If you want to learn a bit of everything, start with modelling, and dont rig them at all untill you got the whole procedure in place.  Modelling, Uv mapping, Texturing, lighting, shading, rendering.  There is no point moving past that if you intend to be a one man show and do it all, this alone will take some good time and effort to get down even for simple characters.  You may take to it like a duck to water so there is no point wasting time, get quality training to learn the basic tools, then move on to character modelling, even if that training comes from another platform like blender, Maya, Max, they all use the same basic tools in one way or another.

Your get most of what you need from Cinevercity, the whole process is covered from modelling to rigging, some of which shown in much older versions of C4D but still apply.

Dan

• Like 1