Cinema 4D Plugins

nikohx

challenge passage with turning wall

nikohx    0

Hello, after an afternoon searching with Xparticles and Mograph I can't figure it out how to do it.

The idea: there is a passage and in the middle there's a slowly turning wall. In the morning people (particles or cloner object?) go to the office but they must pass the turning wall. 

There's one stream (morning/evening is from the other side) but people has to choose witch side of the wall they going to take just to loose no time. So I think there are two groups, one that goes to the left and the other that goes to the right. 

The people are coming out of the door. Sometimes when the passage is very small people are clogging up by the wall (maybe they can interact like dynamics objects?). When the passage is big enough they can go on. (maybe a person chooses to take the other way?) And of course the people cannot pass through the wall or area or just make contact with it.

In the file attached I've made the scene. There's a turning wall and I've made a animated spline the way people are going to walk. I've put it in a fracture object just to add maybe some effector to it. 

Has somebody got a good solution for this challenge?

thanks Niko

turning wall passage question Niko.c4d

Cerbera    1,254

I don't think the fire safety officer would allow this plan :) And TBH you may have something of a fight on your hands trying to get Cinema to allow it either...

Really I suspect you want something like the MASSIVE crowd AI system they developed for Lord of the Rings, where 'agents' follow rules and behaviours, and these govern where they go, and what they do in the scene in response to other objects / agents in it.  But we don't have that, or anything like it in Cinema, so you will have to fake an AI component by some other means...

Let's do an initial test by making the rotating wall and the general area geometry collider bodies. Then we could do a cloned linear line of 'agents' (rigid body spheres for now) that start at one end of the corridor and try to make their way to the other end. Problem 1: How do we make them seem to choose a path ? What about setting up 2 attractors placed near to either end of the rotating wall (but maybe not attached to or moving with it), that you keyframe or Xpresso control on or off depending on what the wall is doing ? This will suck clones towards one end of it or another, and there could be another, more powerful attractor with a falloff set so that the spheres run into its influence once they get past the wall, which would move them on to the end ?

Next step would be to check it still worked with an object that doesn't roll, like a cube. Ultimately I presume you will be swapping out any test shape for a figure with a baked-in walk or run cycle ? Although there's another problem - how would you regulate the speed of the clones so they matched any walk cycle going on - very difficult with dynamics in play I would have thought...

So those are my initial thoughts and might give you things to try if nothing else... but I'm sure I'll think of other ways later, and hopefully you'll get other ideas from other people too. I'll be interested to see your final result and the tests you do along the way...

CBR

nikohx    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hello CBR,

Thanks for thinking with me.

In the attachment the second test. What I did was: I made a floatspace, where the spheres could pass through  at head height. I have put the wall and the floatspace in a Boole. This works. I placed this in the real space. Than I turned it vertical so the spheres would fall through the floatspace=not visible.  I turned the gravity down in the project dynamics. On top I made a funnel tor the clones to fall in. I placed a scatter (cone) object after the door so they split in two directions. At the bottom there's a collect object (cone) to guide the sphere to the end door.   

Finally it works but is not okay yet. There is less control over the cloner objects. 

I think that this also has to work horizontal. But more in the way that you suggest, with attractors and maybe with gravity in horizontal direction. This I'm going to try next. I just put the attractors as a child under the rotating wall, left and right, I think that could work...

How it going to look as end result, I don't know, I don't think that I will replace the sphere for a walkcycles, maybe something like faces but I don't know it yet. First I look for a system that work and then I look what is best for an end result. 

Up to the next test and any suggestions always welcome. 

turning wall passage question Niko 002.c4d

maliohammad    270

As much I would like it to be done in C4d , it is just time and resource consuming. Your best bet would be using a game engine for that , as they have many features to make your idea possible, then after that you can bring the baked animation into C4d. 

If you insist on using c4d only then you may try the following:

-for having 2 groups of people , create 2 cloners. Each cloner goes to a path. This fails to address the problem of people changing paths based on hight .To fix that , you may use an expresso setup with thinking particles to detect the collision of your proxy object , and if there is a collision it will swap group , but for that you will need to make a third path , as it is not acceptable for them to swap from path 1 to path 2 without some middle path . 

This is what came into my mind right now , I will see what comes up next , best of luck!

nikohx    0
  • Topic Author
  • thanks Maliohammad! probably a game engine is the best way to do this but at the moment I can't spend money on that. 

Now I'm thinking that Xparticle could be better to do this than Mograph? I'll try that out too. 

nikohx    0
  • Topic Author
  • I think that I can continue with X particles. In the attachment file you can find a setup. 

It's not perfect yet but whit some adjustments it will do the trick. I think that I will animate the two outside boxes along the shape of the space and make them a target.  

turning wall passage Xparticles Niko.c4d

maliohammad    270
    6 hours ago, nikohx said:

thanks Maliohammad! probably a game engine is the best way to do this but at the moment I can't spend money on that. 

Now I'm thinking that Xparticle could be better to do this than Mograph? I'll try that out too. 

Isn't unreal engine is free or cheap? I haven't checked it for a long time, so maybe things get changed. 

trying xparticles may help, but I don't have experience with it so IDK if it is up to the job or not.