Cinema 4D Plugins

Michaelbost    0

I am cloning a plane onto an object. I want to use the specular channel from a texture to affect to scale of the clones. 

I have added a shader effector and added the texture to the specular channel section under shading. As far as I can tell it just scale everything uniformly. There is a light in the scene which should create specular. 

Any ideas? Project file is attached.

Shader-effector-Specular.c4d

Michaelbost    0
  • Topic Author
  • Does it have something to do with the fact that Specular is now the Reflectance channel in the Material editor and still called Specular  in the Shader effector? I have thought of workarounds like baking the specular, which also isnt that simple. But it would be ideal for the clones to react to the light in the scene changing the specular reflections on the source object.

Fritz    16

Your assumption is right. The "specular" setting is the old Materials specular channel that was replaced by the reflectance channel. It's basicly not doing anything anymore.

I encountered the same a few weeks back and it seems to have been forgotten when replacing the channels.

At the same time it would not be possible to support the reflectance channel as directly as the old specular channel, because it can have many shaders in an arbitrary amount of layers.

southpaw    37

From what I've read in the documentation, the PMatterWaves Node from Thinking Particles  can use a light or texture to control the emission and scale of a particle. I think you need to use a Matrix object in conjuntion with Thinking Particles.

Set the Matrix object's "Generate"  drop down menu to "Thinking Particles".  You'll need to read up on that in the first page of the Thinking Particles documentation, see the section about baking particles/Thinking Particles.