Rectro

Affinity Photo The New Photoshop?

Rectro    561

Hey guys.

Iv been running into compositing issues as of recent due to 32bit workflows and Photoshop CS5 not being full 32bit editing.  I was forced to look out there to see if there was any alternative, and while I ignored this software in the past I had another look at Serifs Affinity Photo. After a few hours I came to realise that its much closer to Photoshop than I had thought only its allows fully 32bit editing.  I own all Serif legacy products, so Im very happy to see them produce this software.  

So far iv been able to do everything I would normally do in Photoshop.  Iv still got some testing to do but so far so good.  Im compositing many Vray multiplass layers and doing some creative post work with them.

I wondered what you use for compositing stills, and would you consider a alternative to the industry leading Photoshop leaving a subscription for a one off fee of £48?

Rectro    561
  • Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, ABMotion said:

Affinity Photo is really gaining ground with people that are trying to leave the Adobe subscription model and is more than capable for the type of work I assume you do. Alternatively, consider GIMP if you haven't looked at that lately. It's been around a long time now and is more than capable and free https://www.gimp.org

Last time I looked for an alternative years ago there was nothing, gimp as a general editor was fine but I use specific tools not just for post work but for patching down textures  overlaying Uv templates.  I cant afford Mari so Photoshop was my go to app for high quality textures, Il see how well patching down a 16k xyz image works, and if that does the same job Il get it.  Iv been looking for an Adobe Production Bundle of CS6 second hand as I wanted AE, but iv not found a lagit one on Ebay yet, all liquidated software with no licence ownership.

Dan

maliohammad    281

I switched to affinity photo for many reasons, one of them is affinity photo runs much faster than photoshop on my machine which makes me do more things without having lag.

Affinity have so smooth workflow and amazing features, but it still lacks the ability to do animated pics in contrast to photoshop, but they said they may do another app for animations, which seems reasonable for me. 

Lonchaney    1

Affinity Photo and Photoline are great alternatives to Photoshop. I believe Photoline has been around for 20+ years and it supports animated gifs.

Fastbee    59

C4D actually has some pretty good 32bit editing tools also.  Between C4D and Affinity it's pretty good.

Another Adobe alternative for video editing would be Hitfilm and Vegas Pro.  The two work well together and offer great tools.  I they both offer 16bit or 32bit editing too so theoretically you could import a still and use their tools to edit a photo as well.

maliohammad    281
    24 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

Another Adobe alternative for video editing would be Hitfilm and Vegas Pro.  The two work well together and offer great tools.  I they both offer 16bit or 32bit editing too so theoretically you could import a still and use their tools to edit a photo as well.

And if you have mac device, I highly recommend FinalCutPro X , as it renders so fast 

Rectro    561
  • Topic Author
  • 30 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

C4D actually has some pretty good 32bit editing tools also.  Between C4D and Affinity it's pretty good.

For general editing there are a few nice programs out there, but Im talking about compositing multi passes, stacking up filters, masks, adjustment layers, using patch tool, Dodge, Burn, Pupet Warp, extracting high pass data, as well as general colour grading, and levelling work.

Iv not done much in animation but know AE deals with multipass layers, not sure about hitfilm, Vegus?

Dan

zeden    21

I have Affinity as well and to be honest while I like it a lot it is 1/5 of Photoshop right now feature wise. But the price is a no brainer. I hope they continue developing it like they didi in the last 2 years. We need a PS challenger for sure. On a side note let's see if MAXON comes up with new BP features in the next 2 releases.

CApruzzese    69

I use Affinity photo exclusively now for all my image work, which includes setting up, retouching photos for print, archival level retouching and restoration in addition to compositing work for c4d and there really isn't anything seriously missing anymore. I do miss the puppet tool time to time but they can usually be worked around. I find it faster to work in and they are always improving giving lots of major updates away so far with my original purchase price. If you are doing something really off the beaten path, photoshop will likely have feature for that after 20+ years but you would really need to be off the path quite a  distance at this point. I find affinity designer eps files work really well in c4d and that is really easier to use than illustrator for me. Final cut pro x was something I beta tested and REALLY hated it. After the last few years of development (and no upgrade fees) it's come along enough I don't use premier or anything else. Motion is so close to replacing AE for me but they have really not done much with adding features to it. If it had native solutions for depth maps and motion blur I would do all my 3D compositing in it. There are plugins for that but that 200$ hasn't been in my budget for a long time to buy them! 

PBarrelas    8

Since video editing subject was brought up, I highly recommend DavinciResolve. Not to mention that it's the best Color Grading tool out there, in my opinion!

Cerbera    1,387

Having paid for the Adobe Creative Suite years and years ago, before it went subscription only, I still resolutely use PS CS3. Incredibly old now, but still does everything I want it to. I have GIMP on the other machine, but I don't like the way it does it a lot of things, so it doesn't get used as much.

When I next feel like an upgrade in that department, I will almost certainly get Affinity Photo - nothing else out there gives you that much for that delightfully silly price :)

Fastbee    59
    13 hours ago, Rectro said:

For general editing there are a few nice programs out there, but Im talking about compositing multi passes, stacking up filters, masks, adjustment layers, using patch tool, Dodge, Burn, Pupet Warp, extracting high pass data, as well as general colour grading, and levelling work.

Iv not done much in animation but know AE deals with multipass layers, not sure about hitfilm, Vegus?

Dan

Between Vegas Pro, Hitfilm, and C4D all that can be done.  I mention C4D because the puppet warp through actual rigging is probably way better in C4D than any other program.  Maybe a little simpler in photoshop, but c4d gives more control.  Everything else I think Vegas can do.  Hitfilm would be for extra stuff, but can also do puppet animations.