Rectro

Affinity Photo The New Photoshop?

I got the Adobe CS6 production suite at a fair crossgrade price and I have some plugins for Photoshop, but I do agree with @Rectro that it falls short regarding 32bit. Sometimes I use Photomatix  for going from 32 to 8 bit, but that's only in special cases. I kept an eye on Affinity for the last year, as features compared to pricing are amazing. If they improve the Affinity suite further, they will be a hard competitor for Photoshop. For some use cases they even seem to be better today.

puppet warp is meant like  3D animation or 2D deformation? Something like puppet in PS could be camera deformer inside c4d...

1.thumb.png.db3fa7c5b5f6e0303e098165f55e94c1.png2.thumb.png.a6b0e0ddbacacdae47786a434e6e35c4.png3.thumb.png.4deed2dcf8d6f9722216f9d54b1df865.png

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, bezo said:

puppet warp is meant like  3D animation or 2D deformation? Something like puppet in PS could be camera deformer inside c4d...

1.thumb.png.db3fa7c5b5f6e0303e098165f55e94c1.png2.thumb.png.a6b0e0ddbacacdae47786a434e6e35c4.png3.thumb.png.4deed2dcf8d6f9722216f9d54b1df865.png

In Photoshop I use Puppet warp much in the same way as Mari Warp, to manipulate textures that are to be projected onto either UV template, or in Mari case onto the 3d model via a texture bake.  With Mari warp its rather special in that the mesh resolution is built around a selection of choice, and the mesh cage resolution can be taken up or down at will without loosing any previous deformation. It seems to be much less destructive retaining a good registration from the original details which is much harder to get in Photoshop.  Iv havent use the camera deformer much in C4D but dont think it works on 2D textures before they are placed on the geometry?

Dan

I use puppet warp not to just deform an image but more to do something like reposition and arm or leg or feature. Puppet tool pins part of the image in place so you have more control over what and how much is warped. I last used it to pin two sides of several "humps" on a very large panoramic fir a client. if I point one more pin in the centre, I could flatten it out. In a doc about Jesse Owens, I used it in AE on a cut out of him on a layer and pinned his arms, feet etc so i could move them like... well.. a puppet. It has limits to be sure but it can be really useful in some situations. 

On 12/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, Cerbera said:

When I next feel like an upgrade in that department, I will almost certainly get Affinity Photo - nothing else out there gives you that much for that delightfully silly price :)

Except for PhotoLine, of course. Affinity Photo still misses some core features that are part of Photoshop and are also available in PhotoLine. I have both, but use PhotoLine for general image editing much more than Affinity Photo.

Arguably PhotoLine's layer stack is much more flexible to work with than either Photoshop or Affinity Photo. Unlimited layer masks, adjustment layers can be applied to any layer, including layer masks and layer mask groups, each bitmap layer can have its own image mode, resolution, and bit depth set (which are retained even after switching the entire image to another image mode back and forth), smart objects (called "placeholder layers"), real-time referenced layer instances, colour profiles per layer, non-destructive throughout, and even external Photoshop compatible plugins can be applied non-destructively on placeholder layers. Not to mention an opacity slider with a range from -200(!) up to +200! Multi-layered EXR files are also supported.

And vector drawing is built-in as well. One of the strengths of PhotoLine is its interoperability with other applications: it is possible to define links to external (image-compatible) applications, and send a bitmap layer or vector layer/group to an external application, work on it, and after saving PhotoLine automatically updates the layers. Super handy.

Painting tools in Affinity Photo are better, but there is a bug in Photo that makes it impossible to draw precise strokes without wobbles (Windows). It is nice to be able to edit 360degree panoramas, though, in Photo. But neither come close to Krita for digital painting.

Get PhotoLine, Affinity Photo, Krita, and Affinity Designer/Gravit Designer/Inkscape for vector graphics, and you have more than you'd ever need for general image editing and illustration at a fraction of the cost of becoming a serf in Adobe's digital serfdom.

For 2d animation get the latest build of OpenToonz (blows Animate CC out of the water), and for video editing/effects Resolve and Fusion (and Natron).

If you are an illustrator/comic artist you would do yourself a disservice if you'd not help yourself to a copy of ClipStudio EX. Brilliant drawing 'feel' - and the traditional frame-based animation features are pretty good, and ClipStudio exports directly to OpenToonz for production-proven 2d animation project management.

The only missing link at this point is a good affordable alternative for InDesign. That's the one remaining Adobe application I still use for my own work. QuarkXPress is too expensive. Hopefully Afffinity Publisher will be an acceptable option. Trouble is, InDesign is really good at what it does, so I am not expecting Publisher to be able to compete. But we can hope. :-)

Otherwise, all of Adobe's products are replaceable with inexpensive and capable alternatives.

• Like 3

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

For 2d animation get the latest build of OpenToonz (blows Animate CC out of the water), and for video editing/effects Resolve and Fusion (and Natron).

Thanks for your input. Il check out Photoline.

Funny enough iv latched onto Natron this week as I was looking to composite some animation image sequences, and had enough of trying to do it in a image stack in Photoshop.  Only issue Im having with Natron is trying to find how to composite a beauty pass from vray layers, Im not familiar with Nuke, but it seems close by all accounts.

Thanks, Dan

3 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

Except for PhotoLine, of course. Affinity Photo still misses some core features that are part of Photoshop and are also available in PhotoLine. I have both, but use PhotoLine for general image editing much more than Affinity Photo.

Arguably PhotoLine's layer stack is much more flexible to work with than either Photoshop or Affinity Photo. Unlimited layer masks, adjustment layers can be applied to any layer, including layer masks and layer mask groups, each bitmap layer can have its own image mode, resolution, and bit depth set (which are retained even after switching the entire image to another image mode back and forth), smart objects (called "placeholder layers"), real-time referenced layer instances, colour profiles per layer, non-destructive throughout, and even external Photoshop compatible plugins can be applied non-destructively on placeholder layers. Not to mention an opacity slider with a range from -200(!) up to +200! Multi-layered EXR files are also supported.

And vector drawing is built-in as well. One of the strengths of PhotoLine is its interoperability with other applications: it is possible to define links to external (image-compatible) applications, and send a bitmap layer or vector layer/group to an external application, work on it, and after saving PhotoLine automatically updates the layers. Super handy.

Painting tools in Affinity Photo are better, but there is a bug in Photo that makes it impossible to draw precise strokes without wobbles (Windows). It is nice to be able to edit 360degree panoramas, though, in Photo. But neither come close to Krita for digital painting.

Get PhotoLine, Affinity Photo, Krita, and Affinity Designer/Gravit Designer/Inkscape for vector graphics, and you have more than you'd ever need for general image editing and illustration at a fraction of the cost of becoming a serf in Adobe's digital serfdom.

If you are an illustrator/comic artist you would do yourself a disservice if you'd not help yourself to a copy of ClipStudio EX. Brilliant drawing 'feel' - and the traditional frame-based animation features are pretty good, and ClipStudio exports directly to OpenToonz for production-proven 2d animation project management.

The only missing link at this point is a good affordable alternative for InDesign. That's the one remaining Adobe application I still use for my own work. QuarkXPress is too expensive. Hopefully Afffinity Publisher will be an acceptable option. Trouble is, InDesign is really good at what it does, so I am not expecting Publisher to be able to compete. But we can hope. :-)

Otherwise, all of Adobe's products are replaceable with inexpensive and capable alternatives.

The latest versions of A photo and A designer have a stabilization tool for drawing that is pretty great but those layer features in photo line I've never even thought of some of them. Like any software, what you use it for will determine how good it it for you. None are perfect . I am looking forward to the affinity Publisher app, but it will take a couple years from release for ti to get truly up to speed as a replacement for Indesign - but based on their previous work, I think they'll get there. 

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, CApruzzese said:

The latest versions of A photo and A designer have a stabilization tool for drawing that is pretty great but those layer features in photo line I've never even thought of some of them. Like any software, what you use it for will determine how good it it for you. None are perfect . I am looking forward to the affinity Publisher app, but it will take a couple years from release for ti to get truly up to speed as a replacement for Indesign - but based on their previous work, I think they'll get there. 

I have no doubt they will get there going by their legacy products I own.  They know how to make software user friendly, I wish they had kept going on with Movie Plus and Web plus, iv not found as easy to use apps out there.

Dan

2 hours ago, Rectro said:

I have no doubt they will get there going by their legacy products I own.  They know how to make software user friendly, I wish they had kept going on with Movie Plus and Web plus, iv not found as easy to use apps out there.

Dan

I have been using Sparkle Web design, it was not expensive and it's dead easy to use. I gave up on Dreamweaver... adobe did very little with it in over a decade and also just gave up on trying to code things by hand. Between c4d, photo works, drawing, graphic design etc.... I have enough to keep track of! 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:19 PM, CApruzzese said:

I use puppet warp not to just deform an image but more to do something like reposition and arm or leg or feature. Puppet tool pins part of the image in place so you have more control over what and how much is warped. I last used it to pin two sides of several "humps" on a very large panoramic fir a client. if I point one more pin in the centre, I could flatten it out. In a doc about Jesse Owens, I used it in AE on a cut out of him on a layer and pinned his arms, feet etc so i could move them like... well.. a puppet. It has limits to be sure but it can be really useful in some situations. 

This is the kind of thing I was saying I would do in c4d for more control because a 2D image can be taken and have a spline drawn around what is to be deformed.  Next we put the spline in a loft or extrude to get some polys on the surface.  Now we can add some bones and set the weights if the auto weighting is not good enough.

For anyone interested in Vegas Pro there is a crazy good sale on humblebundle.com where it's being sold for $20 with a bunch of other software.  Usually it's a $399+ program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastbee said:

This is the kind of thing I was saying I would do in c4d for more control because a 2D image can be taken and have a spline drawn around what is to be deformed.  Next we put the spline in a loft or extrude to get some polys on the surface.  Now we can add some bones and set the weights if the auto weighting is not good enough.

For anyone interested in Vegas Pro there is a crazy good sale on humblebundle.com where it's being sold for $20 with a bunch of other software.  Usually it's a $399+ program.

It can be done in C4D but that's a lot more work than clicking on a space and adding a pin like you do in photoshop or AE. I had done some photo animation in C4D years ago, before the puppet tool, but the results were not great. maybe because of the tech in c4d at the time and also because you loose some quality exporting but mostly the workflow in a production is just better with AE and photos for what Iw as doing. (Mostly bringing old photos to life for the American Experience TV show). This thread does show there is a bigger variety of options out there if you don't want to use photoshop etc!  I'll have to take a look a the humble bundle link! 

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Very strange, hard to work out if its lagit, or how buying from there works?

Dan