lutfirren

Transfering UV's?

Hi,

I need to the transfer UV's from one model to an identical one (but rigged) in C4D. The reason is that the model was rigged and weight painted before the UV's were done, and it would be great if I didn't have to do the rigging over...

I read this thread: 

And tried everything - copying the tag and using the VAMP (although I am unsure about the right settings), etc - but nothing works. I end up with the same result every time, where it looks like the UV's are almost split per face (see image).

I have also tried save tag preset, but after saving it and going to load tag preset there is nothing there.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 14.24.21.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 14.27.21.png

• Haha 1

That's weird - if the models are truly identical, and have the same point count and order, then just moving the UV tag should do it. That works for me in R19, but I don't have 16 installed any more so can't test it there.

CBR

Well, I can confirm that your models are identical, so is the point order, and also that copying the UV tag across doesn't work in your case.

Having done that I can check the UV map and it seems to be correct, but obviously isn't doing that in the viewport, and if we select a single island of UV polys we can see that actually the UV's from that one island are all over the model, which clearly isn't right. What is even more odd is that removing your skin and rig doesn't appear to make any difference.

So, sorry to say I don't have a solution for this that isn't doing either rigging or UVing again, but it's not really my area of expertise, so hopefully somebody else has a plan you can try...

CBR

As Cerbera I would also have though to simply copy the UVW tag from your original mesh to your rigged mesh.

If point count and polygon count AND the polygon indeces are the same between the 2 meshes, the copying of the UVW tag should work.

I downloaded your two meshes and had a look, and can tell that the polygon indeces are completely different between the two meshes.

As such, I have no idea how you would want to map the UVs of one mesh to the other.

How did you end up having these differences between the two meshes. Did you do some polygon reduction or other changes for the two meshes to "drift" apart in polygon and point indeces?

I see Cerbera replied will writing my reply.

• Namaste 1

• Topic Author
  • The mesh should be the same - I exported it from C4D (without the rig) and imported it back again without changing anything except the UV's.

I am not really an advanced user - what does polygon and point indeces mean? 

Thank you for your time guys!

Update: I've found an answer, though it's not ideal as there is some weighting to fix... but if you delete body 1, move body 2 to X=0 so it is lined up over the rig, you can bind the rig to body 2 by dropping it into the slot in the Bind tab of the character object. Might be faster than doing your UV's again.

CBR

5 minutes ago, lutfirren said:

I am not really an advanced user - what does polygon and point indeces mean? 

Each vertex you create in Cinema has a specific number, and all your vertexes together have a specific point order, viewable in the structure menu (tab to the right of object manager). Each vertex (point) has a corresponding UV vertex (point), and this is why things go wrong if you UV a model, and then add new geometry to it, which changes that point order, and the UV map doesn't make sense any more until you redo it.

Likewise, each polygon (face) has a corresponding UV polygon.

I note with interest that you said you copied that mesh via export. I wonder if that's where it went wrong. If you had copied it by ctrl-dragging in the file I suspect (and it is only a suspicion) you wouldn't be getting this problem.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • So, it could have to do with the export? I exported it to an OBJ and did the UV's in Maya, but didn't think that the UV's would be "software-specific"...

19 minutes ago, lutfirren said:

So, it could have to do with the export? I exported it to an OBJ and did the UV's in Maya, but didn't think that the UV's would be "software-specific"...

Ah. There's the answer :) Maya has done its own thing with point order, and cinema doesn't know what to do with it. Obj is also a famously spurious format for preserving texture stuff. So going with my plan above is your best shot I reckon... just bind the one with the decent UV's to the rig.

CBR

• Namaste 1