Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

BoatyBoat

Character Weight/Texture Problem?

everfresh    334

first off: if you upload files that should illustrate a particular problem, copy the problem (in this case the character) to a new file and send only that, makes things a bit easier, on both ends.

to the issues: the mesh of that model is not really suited for animation. too dense and it also has a lot of weirdly intersecting geometry, even at default state. second, your weighting is totally off, for instance you have weights of the arms on your spine, see screenshot. 

i would go in and smooth out some areas of the mesh with the skin tags deactivated (especially in the shoulder/neck area) with the smoothing brush, and then you can fix your weights (which will take a lot of patience on a mess of a mesh like this).

good luck, you will need it ;)

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 20.21.28 copy.jpg

• Like 2

BoatyBoat    2
  • Topic Author
  • 17 minutes ago, everfresh said:

Apologies for the faux pas Everfresh - I'm actually the project's director, not the VFX artist, so I'm learning as I go here - this is my first endeavor using C4D after mostly engaging with live-action work. I'll keep the duplicate project file thing mindful for next time, makes perfect sense.

We did try playing with the wight manager quite a bit and it became a maddening case of fixing one problem, only to discover new ones. I'm not sure if we tried deactivating skin tags prior or not, however - I can check on that. Appreciate your taking a look!

VECTOR    550

out of curiosity is this a purchased model or did your vfx guy build it

digitvisions    129

Taking in consideration the amount of work is needed to fix this mesh you probably be better off buying a new character.

BoatyBoat    2
  • Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

out of curiosity is this a purchased model or did your vfx guy build it

This was a Turbosquid purchase (already rigged for C4D no less).

VECTOR    550
    1 minute ago, BoatyBoat said:

ah because for lack of a better way of putting it, the mesh is a mess, you're gonna find it extremely difficult to make this usable 

digitvisions    129
    2 minutes ago, BoatyBoat said:

Do you still have the original mesh in it's A pose?

BoatyBoat    2
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, VECTOR said:

ah because for lack of a better way of putting it, the mesh is a mess, you're gonna find it extremely difficult to make this usable 

Bummer to hear that - I'll pass the info along and see if we can salvage it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I don't think we'd  considered that it might simply be a shortcoming in the model itself, given the sterling reputation of the seller's products.

I guess we live and lear, eh...?

everfresh    334
    1 minute ago, digitvisions said:

Do you still have the original mesh in it's A pose?

if you deactivate the skin tags its in a neutral A pose. 

everfresh    334
    1 minute ago, BoatyBoat said:

Bummer to hear that - I'll pass the info along and see if we can salvage it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I don't think we'd  considered that it might simply be a shortcoming in the model itself, given the sterling reputation of the seller's products.

I guess we live and lear, eh...?

how much did you pay for that model? just curious...

btw,  you CAN make it work. but it takes some effort... since i don't have arnold i couldn't look at the materials... does the appearance of the suit heavily rely on textures? if not you could ditch the uvs and retopo the majority of the body...

digitvisions    129
    2 minutes ago, everfresh said:

if you deactivate the skin tags its in a neutral A pose. 

Yes i gathers that, but is it the original state of the mesh as he bought it ? The reason i asked is that you can take it up with Turbosquid artist.