A Rainy day in Paris

LightinaBox

Poor old OP. I bet he had little idea when he uploaded his early models what a firestorm he would start :) And it's always good to get all the old arguments out again for a fresh airing :)

CBR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Out of curiosity is there a reason why you feel like you need to keep it productural ? also being honest the topology is getting pretty bad here,  it's all well and good to have no n gons or triangles but not if this mesh is the result, not to be discouraging but i feel this maybe a little out of your modelling range skill wise, atleast for the moment, of course this is only my opinion. 

The topology is getting bad cause i use hyper nurbs (subdivision), its not the definitive version, im just exploring possibilitites of how made something that has a irregular form (since im doing this using references and images), make them fit into commercial patterns (only squares), do not leave the mesh too heavy, and a more interesting topology

4 minutes ago, LightinaBox said:

The topology is getting bad cause i use hyper nurbs (subdivision), its not the definitive version, im just exploring possibilitites of how made something that has a irregular form (since im doing this using references and images), make them fit into commercial patterns (only squares), do not leave the mesh too heavy, and a more interesting topology

it's not sub d thats making the mesh like that it's the topology and the way you constructed it making it bad, see cerberas example, it subdivides perfectly, also my man everfresh's spline version for how it should be done properly using that method

4 hours ago, King of Snake said:
Well this is exactly what I meant when I asked why he felt the need to make it all quads. The screenshots demonstrate the problem when people are given the "rule" to model all quads just on "principle", without understanding why or when using quads is necessary, or understanding different modelling techniques.

Although I hesitate to say this, because I do not consider myself an expert or very experienced modeller at all, (so if I am somehow wrong I will accept it), but I think that if he's not subdividing or deforming the mesh, but rather just using spline extrusions and booleans and then laboriously trying to cut all the triangulated flat surfaces into little quads, it just makes no sense and is a waste of time. It makes no difference to the quality of the result with the current method he's using for modelling and is actually creating a lot of unnecessary and messed up geometry in the process.

I never meant to say that it doesn't matter if you model with quads or tris or n-gons, but I was looking at the context of the work he was showing and the modelling approach he's using.

Either model those curvy and star-shaped bits properly using SDS techniques, or don't bother with the quads (or just model it as quads to begin with). I presume most of the other elements can be just straight box/poly modelled since they will be mostly simple rectangular shapes.

probably the best option will be polygonal modeling with squares from the beginning, 

because converting a model already made with spline into squares does not give a satisfactory result

4 hours ago, everfresh said:

i have to say i'm with king of snake on this one. all those star shapes and stuff would be most efficiently modelled by drawing out splines and extruding them, leaving the caps ngons. the model just gets unnecessarily heavy, slows down the viewport and slows down the rendering. i only see disadvantages here in cutting everything to quads, makes no sense at all. in cg the fastest way to get you there is always the right one, if it doesn't compromise the quality of the end result. and by end result i don't mean a wireframe render. if you wanna show off how good of a modeller you are that's another thing, but if you want to model it as quickly and efficient as possible and if you want to keep the poly count low then make those shapes ngons wherever you can.

I can not leave everything as n-gon, they may end up deformed when converted to other programs, and it makes no sense if the purpose of it is commercial purposes

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Here's a practical example that demonstrates the sort of topology you could have used on one of those floral plates. This version I made using regular poly modelling, symmetry, and being very minimal on the polygons, but it is still all quads (or will be when symmetries are combined and centerline edges dissolved).

It took 5 minutes, which is arguably faster than making the splines in the first place !

starquads.thumb.jpg.71c42a9feb9c71f171c2a2de9c8322ba.jpg

I appreciate that it might take someone with less experience more time to do it this way, but if you train yourself from the ground-up to model things in quads then you become as fast at doing that as lesser skilled people are at doing it the lazier spline-based ways.

CBR

Thats a good way to do it, i wil try it

48 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Poor old OP. I bet he had little idea when he uploaded his early models what a firestorm he would start :) And it's always good to get all the old arguments out again for a fresh airing :)

CBR

and I'm redoing everything again xD

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

Haha, yeah I guess so. I think we are all on the same page basically anyway and I hope we haven't discouraged the OP. Personally I would say: try something a bit smaller than the whole Eiffel Tower first :) Or concentrate on a couple of key parts of the tower. Shapes like that star with the floral leaves in the middle are very interesting little modelling challenges (well not so much of a challenge for some guys here ;))
And please keep posting your progress LightinaBox!

Archived