Sign in to follow this  
Simmy

Lithophanes

Hello.

So, when @TheJimReaper mentioned a lithophane I had to look it up (I had no idea what it was) and I thought that looks cool. 

Here is my first attempt which is a secret Santa gift for a friend. The photo was not a good fit for the procedure but it's all I had to work with. There were also issues mid print but the end result is ok enough. The next one should be a lot better. 

I also printed a little stand for it.

received_10157088496213747.thumb.jpeg.fb2c3fa029681276004842ec586f8afa.jpegrps20171219_093335.thumb.jpg.a2eae0cccf3671ed6af8775bce1a261e.jpg

The STL file was created using the latest version of Cura as it can convert the photo for you.

Nice, I love lithophanes. It amazes me how perfect they look when the light shines through. This was my first.

This site creates the stl for you and turns the photos into different shapes and sizes.

18622117_10209540121795182_1375640003220642466_n.jpg

18557262_10209540121835183_5707076540782209091_n.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 41 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

This site creates the stl for you and turns the photos into different shapes and size

Thank you for the link. I will check it out as I have another one to do soon

Your lithophane looks great. Shame they take so long to print

They do take a while, I've found that the flat ones print quicker laying down than they do when they're stood up.  Unfortunately when you use a different style such as the curved one you have to do them stood up!

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the tip on the website. It's perfect, so here is another gift finished. I ran out of wood filament for the base so went with black....

rps20171223_182103.thumb.jpg.83cd7b22e8fbe38c9e44a26e5979fbc4.jpgrps20171223_182122.thumb.jpg.f7c674d5056caa59f1ced0d77591c065.jpg

Have you been able to make this using only C4D?

• Topic Author
  • no ive not, the only time I used C4D for a lithophane was when I wanted to incorporate it into a different design so I used volume builder to make it how I needed but the lithophane STL still came from another website

On 12/19/2017 at 2:10 PM, TheJimReaper said:

Nice, I love lithophanes. It amazes me how perfect they look when the light shines through. This was my first.

This site creates the stl for you and turns the photos into different shapes and sizes.

18622117_10209540121795182_1375640003220642466_n.jpg

18557262_10209540121835183_5707076540782209091_n.jpg

I don't expect a response since you haven't been active since 2018 but ill give it a shot, could you share the STL or the image? Because damn, thats a sick dragon.

1 hour ago, Bixmox said:

I don't expect a response since you haven't been active since 2018 but ill give it a shot, could you share the STL or the image? Because damn, thats a sick dragon.

It has been a very long time since I was here. A lot has changed and I've been incredibly busy! Although I didn't think it had been that long!

I am currently trying to recover the external hard drive that that file is on. The hard drive somehow became currupted, I think it was down to a power serge we had just before Christmas that killed my pc! I have everything crossed and I'm praying a lot that I can recover some if not all that was on it as there was almost 2 TBs worth of C4D and 3D printing files on it. What makes it worse is that that was my backup! I was transferring stuff to it at the time!

The scans have been running for the past 2 days and should be done by morning, hopefully then I'll have an idea of what I can get back. If that file is amongst them then I'll gladly let you have it. Give me a couple of days as I'm not 100% sure how long it's going to take. Once I know more I'll let you know.

9 hours ago, TheJimReaper said:

It has been a very long time since I was here. A lot has changed and I've been incredibly busy! Although I didn't think it had been that long!

I am currently trying to recover the external hard drive that that file is on. The hard drive somehow became currupted, I think it was down to a power serge we had just before Christmas that killed my pc! I have everything crossed and I'm praying a lot that I can recover some if not all that was on it as there was almost 2 TBs worth of C4D and 3D printing files on it. What makes it worse is that that was my backup! I was transferring stuff to it at the time!

The scans have been running for the past 2 days and should be done by morning, hopefully then I'll have an idea of what I can get back. If that file is amongst them then I'll gladly let you have it. Give me a couple of days as I'm not 100% sure how long it's going to take. Once I know more I'll let you know.

Wow, really didn't expect the reply!

Thank you so much, best of luck!