RenderStorm Farm

nicks

Instance texture override

nicks    17

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if what I want to do is even possible - I have a series of objects (consisting of lots of different parts), which I am instancing in a scene... I'd like to be able to override the colours of some of the instances so they render out in a plain white.

I had the idea of using a transparent material and placing it at the top of the material heirarchy, then toggling it on and off to reveal the colours below, which works well - I've attached a test scene to illustrate the principle - you can change the texture of an instance via a pull-down menu which activates when an item is selected. It works fine on individual objects or basic instances like on the attached file, where the original contains no texture tag, but as soon as a texture is added to the original object, any textures I add to the instances are useless.

Is there a way of overriding the textures associated with a master object, on an instance of it.

I am explaining this badly, but hope that the attached explains things a bit better...

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

ColourTest.c4d

• Namaste 1

ABMotion    235

Unfortunately, you're trying to break the basic principle of instances when you add textures to the original, the instances will inherit it.

I'm assuming your actual scene is far more complicated than your attached file.

You're not explaining why you need to do this, but a couple of possible solutions would be:

If you effectively need only one of the instances to have different textures, you could convert that one to an object rather than an instance, color that up fully and keep the instances all matching the original.

You could switch objects on/off using Xpresso on object Enabled if required. i.e. Swap out objects rather than materials. So have one set of instances with no color and one with color. Again, breaks the overall principle of instances as you need two different originals, but might be easier than all different.

A blanket solution, but not workable if you're wanting this in real-time or for animation is to use Material Override in the Render Settings but that overrides all materials.

• Like 1

nicks    17
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for getting back to me - I kind of suspected as much .

My client wants to be able to highlight groups of objects (shop fixtures) in colour, and have the rest of the environment render out as white...

Interestingly, I had set up a scene with 2 sets of originals as you've suggested (one white, the other textured) and it works, but I was wondering if there's another way of doing it.

Cheers,

Nick

ABMotion    235
    1 minute ago, nicks said:

Interestingly, I had set up a scene with 2 sets of originals as you've suggested (one white, the other textured) and it works, but I was wondering if there's another way of doing it.

In this scenario, you're still only dealing with two originals and the only difference is materials, so changes are relatively easy. If the scene was complicated, instances were required and I needed to achieve what you've described, this is the way I would approach it as I think it's the simplest solution.

• Like 1

nicks    17
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the advice - as long as I'm not missing anything (or an opportunity to do something clever), I'm pretty happy with that solution!

Cheers!

Nick