Sign in to follow this  
SKaiser

Character model progress renders

Hi all,

Well I'm finally going down the 'making a cartoon short solo' route and I've finally finished about 99% of the modelling. The character is the main piece and I thought I'd show my progress here for a critique before I go to the texturing stage. I've included the 2D ref for comparison, all feedback welcome, Thanks!

5a3d09c801463_Artboard1.thumb.jpg.8683bea7a9186d54a6856ce793a5d8f6.jpgWordloss_Char_Preview_1.thumb.jpg.44ba64c791b40caddcc03f2dc8d9f9df.jpgWordloss_Char_Preview_2.thumb.jpg.8699ddfd6cd7295074c342522d09e35e.jpgWordloss_Char_Preview_3.thumb.jpg.fa5766bbe220bcb4e8a647a98ca3bdda.jpgWordloss_Char_Preview_4.thumb.jpg.60409dd707dd44ad74d0c9b98d1a08d8.jpgWordloss_Char_Preview_5.thumb.jpg.e7dbb8d3932d78009334f51f1596119a.jpg

Not much to criticize there, my friend :) Good modelling, loops where they should be, the form nicely described, good hair, good everything really ! :)

CBR

Good luck making the cartoon! It's a lot of work and you'll learn a lot by doing it. I ry to remind myself to concentrate in the areas that matter most. Details are great but if they are invisible in the end shot, don't do them and save your energy and efforts of the things you find harder to accomplish. I wish my modelling was a tenth as good as yours is! 

looking good so far, id say he could do with a little more depth in the upper body so from the side it has a bit more of a taper down to the legs / feet, the collar on the sweater could be smaller / thinner so the majority of it sits under the shirt collar. also make the shoulder slightly wider and the sweater arm holes at a bit more of an angle as the arms have a bit of a werid curvature going on from the tip of the shoulder down to the elbow at the moment but that's just my opinion.

the topology looks pretty clean although it's a little too high poly wise in some places for my liking that it doesn't necessarily need to be with the amount of detail present like the head, arms and legs but over all it's pretty good :)

same here, solid modelling i'd say, but you could have made him much more efficient regarding the poly count, especially the head. you could have gotten away with only half the poly count in total without loosing any detail. makes your life much harder for weighting and facial poses than it needs to be, also your playback speed in the viewport will suffer, since you're planning on animating a short it's really worth saving every poly you can. makes everything go much smoother...

Nice clean modelling, would the eyes be showing through the glasses?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

@Cerbera & @CApruzzese , great comments, I will bare these in mind going forward - thank you.

@VECTOR & @everfresh you both make very good points. I guess I went for this polycount so I would have  good clean deformations of the face (there will be a lot of facial closeups in this short) but if you feel it's best to reduce the polycount, I will do so.

@digitvisions Hey dude! Yes, once I tecture this thing I will put a glass material on the eyepieces.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys!