BigAl3D

iMac Pro 8-Core Cinebench

On 1/17/2018 at 11:00 AM, garrio said:

@phobos don't suppose you have either X particles 4 or Realflow for Cinema 4Dv2 plugins?. Considering an iMac pro purchase upgrading from a 2012 maxed out iMac as well. Was wondering if anybody knew what these plugins take advantage of - CPU clock speed? or cores? or both? and whether you've noticed a considerable improvement in simulation times?? Also a more basic workflow question compared to your old 2012 iMac - is there a noticeable difference in the speed of the interactive render region window with complex scenes etc. i.e. speeding up look dev of a project.  I'm not sure if this is a single core process within Cinema so might not be much quicker. Trying to justify a purchase :lol:Cheers for any info

Unfortunately I don't have X particles or Realflow so I can't really tell if there's any improvement there. As for interactive render region, yes it's much much faster on the iMac Pro. Before getting the new machine I was working on a scene and of course I was using interactive render region. When switching to the new machine I was amazed by how fast the feedback was in interactive render region. It's definitely faster. What was also amazing is how fast ProRender is. Especially for look development it's much better than interactive render region. The feedback is immediate and you get a clean result really fast. 

I truly believe your work will get better just from the fact that you can explore more and adjust more faster. 

Of course if you are not OSX centric you could build an equally capable PC with less money. But for me that wasn't an option. I'm extremely happy with the machine the performance and also how silent it is.

I'm preparing a video with my impressions. Hopefully I'll have something up by next week. 

On 1/17/2018 at 2:00 AM, garrio said:

@phobos don't suppose you have either X particles 4 or Realflow for Cinema 4Dv2 plugins?. Considering an iMac pro purchase upgrading from a 2012 maxed out iMac as well. Was wondering if anybody knew what these plugins take advantage of - CPU clock speed? or cores? or both? and whether you've noticed a considerable improvement in simulation times?? Also a more basic workflow question compared to your old 2012 iMac - is there a noticeable difference in the speed of the interactive render region window with complex scenes etc. i.e. speeding up look dev of a project.  I'm not sure if this is a single core process within Cinema so might not be much quicker. Trying to justify a purchase :lol:Cheers for any info

I just picked up the base model iMac Pro yesterday, I wasn't going to get one but micro center had it for $3,999 so I said what the hell. I'll do some tests with X particles and get back to you. Theoretically x particles should be good because it's multi threaded. So the more cores the better.  I don't use real flow so I won't be able to comment on that. On the down side for me anyway is that I'll have rely on the CPU for Turbulence FD as I don't think there's a gfx acceleration mode for AMD cards with this plugin. I may be wrong but will check.  It may make interactive preview a nightmare. However, with all these thunderbolt external Graphics card enclosures coming online we may be in luck since nvidia has drives for the mac that work quite well. 

So yep, so far I've just done a couple of render tests and it's pretty damn fast. It took the 8-core to render the grape scene in about 4:15. This machine will sit really nicely with a couple of other team rendering machines. 

One downside that bugs me is that apple throttles the CPU to maintain a noise free machine. I tried using the (Macs Fan Control) app to take control of the fans but this program isn't working not he new iMac.

I think 4k is a pretty fair price for this machine, if you went out to buy an current chipset 8-core Xeon with 32GIGs DDR4 ECC ram, 1TB SSD, decent gfx card with a 5K display to boot you will easily drop something close to that if not more. I spect the parts out and I could't build desk a top for that. I would be closer to the 5K -6K range.  

Of course the downside is upgradability. It's confirmed that Ram is upgradable, GFX is not, CPU is possibly. If Ram and CPU is upgradable then this is good for C4D and AE users. Video card, we don't really take much advantage that and if there is a case for a better GPU, then we've got some thunderbolt GPU enclosures as an option. TurbulenceFD recommends a dedicated GPU Just for that plugins with as much memory as possible for simulations.

iMac pro, is good to go. 

sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the very detailed responses!. Since my interest in purchasing an iMac pro for myself, my company has declared that they will shell out for two maxed out 18 core iMac pros for the two C4D seats we have! with the intention to upgrade to Mac pros when they come out. I fear that 10 core machines will be faster for C4D in general for everything but rendering though, as they have the higher clock speed?. We have 3 network servers with 72 cores for rendering so thats not what we will be using the iMac pros for....

On 1/29/2018 at 6:46 AM, garrio said:

sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the very detailed responses!. Since my interest in purchasing an iMac pro for myself, my company has declared that they will shell out for two maxed out 18 core iMac pros for the two C4D seats we have! with the intention to upgrade to Mac pros when they come out. I fear that 10 core machines will be faster for C4D in general for everything but rendering though, as they have the higher clock speed?. We have 3 network servers with 72 cores for rendering so thats not what we will be using the iMac pros for....

I can’t imagine any reason to get the 18 core. Team render works great. The 10 core is the best option at full retail. I have an i7-8700k hackintosh 6 core overclocked to 5ghz paired up with my 8-core iMac pro for team renders and it just screams.

@manyarms I suspect you will be right! Company went and ordered them anyway - will see how X particles performs and also post cinebench scores when they arrive in the next week or so

• Topic Author
  • So to my surprise, the new iMac Pro we just got yesterday is the 18-core model and an insane amount of RAM. So here's my grapes test result and the Cinebench scores. Grapes are pretty close to my big renderbox so that's impressive for an iMac.

Grapes iMac Pro 2.3 Ghz 18-Core.png

Cinebench_iMacPro_18core.jpg

We get same cinebench scores which are and should be pretty amazing.

We have come across an issue with C4d animation on a scene using cloners with deformers. Old iMac runs it perfect.

iMac pro runs at a painful stutter!. Switch the cloners and deformers off in Cinema - still stutters. However if you delete them from the scene, animation runs smooth again, which is very worrying

i.e it shouldn't stutter full stop! but also seems to be calculating their geo even when your switching if off in the layer tree. We are wondering if its a High Sierra / C4D issue, as all of our older imacs are still running Sierra