BigAl3D

iMac Pro 8-Core Cinebench

I was able to install and run Cinebench 15 on a spanky brand new iMac Pro at an Apple store this weekend. I took a couple of pics of the results and posted them here. This is the first Cinebench I've seen of the new iMac Pro, so enjoy. Curious to hear opinions from others that know better than I. It is expensive, but for a pro making a living, it could pay for itself fairly quickly.

Pretty impressed with it feel. I ran Final Cut X and had several 8k ProRes 4444 clips playing in real time. I also played with Motion. I opened up the template with the Earth and some 3D title effects. Played very smooth and could scrub back and forth as quickly as I wanted. I then added some fireworks, explosion with pieces and a meteor animated across the screen particle effects. Continued looping in real time and was still able to scrub back and forth as fast as I liked.

Not a complete or real-world test, but in my experience, that Motion project would bog down on any other Mac. Maybe Leia was right, there's always hope (for us Mac hanger-on-ers).

iMac-Pro-Cinebench.jpg

Edited by BigAl3D
Corrected number of cores.

interesting to see. It's unlikely I'd buy one  -  but not impossible.

My desktop will be staying mac for a variety of treasons.... But I can't help but think its probably more efficient to use the 'normal' imac 27 with an i7. And just use a renderfarm for anything particularly big 

My thoughts too, also my hopes are that upcoming MacPro will finally be what I need for Pro machine.

I got the 10 core version but I haven't checked the CB score. I think it's around 2000. 

Will check when I go back home. For me it was a huge jump from the machine I had before so I'm loving it. 

Could it be faster and cheaper? For sure! 

But it's still a really good machine. And some preliminary tests I did with final cut pro it was a beast! 

Overall very satisfied. 

@phobos Exciting. Always fun to unbox one of those. Do me/us a favor. I like to run my own more real-world Cinebench. When you get back home, open the scene Grapes from the Content Browser. Don't change anything and hit Render to Picture viewer and post the render time. CB scores are nebulous at best and difficult to relate to the real world. 

So I tested Cinebench and the score is 2055. 

@BigAl3D I also tested out the grapes scene. On the iMac Pro it renders in

3 minutes and 46 seconds. 

By comparison my late 2012 iMac renders the same scene in:

13 minutes and 41 seconds

That's around x3.8 speed up for me. Love it!

I've been given the opportunity to test drive one at the Apple store so I find this thread to be interesting. They told me they would install any program I wanted but I'm a bit skeptical about installing my C4D for an hour or two...perhaps I could get them to install the demo version instead. Anyway I planned on rendering the grapes file to get an idea of speed but thanks to BigAL3D I no longer need to do this, much appreciated!

@phobos 3:46 isn't bad at all. My trashcan 8-core does it in 8:30. We have some thin-bezel i7 iMacs and they render in about 10:45. I also have a renderbox with two VERY strong E5 v4 Xeons in it (very expensive). It will render the grapes scene in 2:30 max if I remember, but I have 40 physical cores and 80 virtual cores doing the work. Thanks for doing that.

@phobos don't suppose you have either X particles 4 or Realflow for Cinema 4Dv2 plugins?. Considering an iMac pro purchase upgrading from a 2012 maxed out iMac as well. Was wondering if anybody knew what these plugins take advantage of - CPU clock speed? or cores? or both? and whether you've noticed a considerable improvement in simulation times?? Also a more basic workflow question compared to your old 2012 iMac - is there a noticeable difference in the speed of the interactive render region window with complex scenes etc. i.e. speeding up look dev of a project.  I'm not sure if this is a single core process within Cinema so might not be much quicker. Trying to justify a purchase :lol:Cheers for any info