Sign in to follow this  
thunderdoc

Parametric paneling research

Lately i'm starting to like parametric modeling and yesterday I was watching some techniques in this topic.

I saw a video where a guy creates some kind of parametric paneling (in Blender) and I was thinking if I could achieve the same results in C4D.

Unfortunately i'm not having good results yet, the closest I achieved is this: 

I think the optimal workflow would be:

1- Have a bevel deformer that allows open bevels, like 3DSMAX has open chamfer option:

pnA3VmT.gif

2- Use extrude (cloth surface, py-extrude modifier or something like that).

3- Apply subdivision surface.

Or in perfect world, a plugin that creates paneling using edges selection tag... but I cannot code.

I think codding a plugin that does that is not that hard, I believe there's someway to detect the new polygons created from the bevel and make them disappear... anyway...

I also tried the following sequence: 

Hw96XsE.png

But the explosion deformer doesn't allow working in a polygon selection which comes from a bevel deformer :-(

So, anyone has any hint that could lead to successfully apply this technique in C4D?

No, I think you are doing pretty much everything Cinema can to do this sort of thing parametrically. You've got the Py- parametric tools working, and some other good little bits and pieces as well, but I think that is going to be the best you can do in R18 without additional plugins, because this sort of modelling is relatively new to Cinema, so we don't really have complete solutions yet.

Houdini is the place to go for parametric modelling, and that is built entirely around the parametric principle so it, or Blender may just be more suitable for your needs than Cinema is in this instance... of course when it comes to regular poly modelling, Cinema blows Houdini out of the water, so horses for courses, I guess...

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks, but if your mindset is to use the best software for any particular job, and you absolutely need parametric panel-work, then I don't think Cinema is where you'd look first...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • On 12/25/2017 at 10:54 PM, Cerbera said:

No, I think you are doing pretty much everything Cinema can to do this sort of thing parametrically. You've got the Py- parametric tools working, and some other good little bits and pieces as well, but I think that is going to be the best you can do in R18 without additional plugins, because this sort of modelling is relatively new to Cinema, so we don't really have complete solutions yet.

Houdini is the place to go for parametric modelling, and that is built entirely around the parametric principle so it, or Blender may just be more suitable for your needs than Cinema is in this instance... of course when it comes to regular poly modelling, Cinema blows Houdini out of the water, so horses for courses, I guess...

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks, but if your mindset is to use the best software for any particular job, and you absolutely need parametric panel-work, then I don't think Cinema is where you'd look first...

CBR

Nah, I don't need to model parametricaly everytime, I use more conventional modeling (subdivision modeling) but I like to learn different techniques, because who knows when I will need them!

Maybe i'll start learning Python to create my own plugins, since Xpresso is a lot limited, I think...

But no hurry, i'm already happy with the things C4D can do at the moment :)  (but C4D still need completly new UV unwrap system xD)

thanks for your response!

Houdini indie is about the price of a plugin and is far better than C4D or Modo for parametric modeling, simple as well as complex. However, I would agree that for quick modeling , C4D is far better. C4D is also better for NPR rendering, quick development of shaders and materials, and it has pretty good sculpting. The combination of those two programs is great for almost everything you could ask for. For the rare things missing, 3D coat or zbrush creates a complete suit.