Sign in to follow this  
kkamin

Creating Dust Being Affected by a Vortex

I'm working on a concept where I have a cyclone spinning around my scene and would like to have dust or dirt being affected by it by either being sucked into it or being blown away from it. I'm open to a Cinema or After Effects solution. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I once saw an XParticles tutorial on how we might go about this, but unfortunately since XP4 was released the video tuts for 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 have all gone missing from the web site. From what I recall they made a series of circular arrays of wind forces, and angled them tactically upwards so that they swirled particles around and up in a tornado / vortex sort of way. In that instance the particles made up the tornado itself, but I think that sort of setup could be grouped and moved about in such a way that it also picked up other particles, in your case dust. 

So, we know this can be done in XP, but the question is 'would a similar setup work in native Cinema'.  We certainly have particles, and forces, but I suspect you would need quite a good knowledge of thinking particles to get this working and I'm not sure if the same level or even an adequate level of control is achievable with C4D particles, but I'm struggling to think what other options you have in Cinema.

I've seen a few tuts on youtube too suggesting After FX is one way to go, particularly with Trapcode Particular), but they usually use TFD for the actual twister itself. I haven't seen anyone try with Pyrocluster, but it might be worth a go...

CBR

Navié EFFEX could do that, but the website seems to be down...

28 minutes ago, LightinaBox said:

Navié EFFEX could do that, but the website seems to be down...

Navie is no more alas. There was an announcement somewhere I think....

TFD is still going, and that could do it too, but I think OP is looking for native solutions :/

CBR

Cinema 4D doesn have a volumetric particles engine, or have?

20 minutes ago, LightinaBox said:

Cinema 4D doesn have a volumetric particles engine, or have?

Not in a feasible way ;) We have Pyrocluster, which isn't really up to this sort of thing if we're honest.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, everyone. I don't know X-Particles but recently procured the 12-hour Greyscalegorilla tutorials on the subject, and will be jamming on that over the holiday weekend. Thanks again!