Good day folks. I've seen others running into this issue, but I couldn't follow along with the solutions sadly, so I'll present my own version of the problem: as you can see in the snapshot, part of that object I goofed around with is yellow and the rest is blue. When I tried beveling it slightly, the blue part turned into a horrendous mess, obviously, because it's trying to bevel towards the inside rather than outside (those sides are facing the wrong way).....looking into the issue, I can't seem to solve it at all, since even if I select that blue area and select "reverse normals", the moment I select "bevel" and try to drag, it goes back to being blue and starts bevelling in the wrong direction again......any solution to this ? It may seem like a simple task, but it took me quite some time to create that thing, despite not looking like much, with me being just a novice, so please don't tell me I have to do that all that again ! :))

As a side note, what could be causing this ? That way, I'll know to avoid it in the future..... There's probably something I'm doing wrong that caused half of that poly to flip around, since I haven't seen it happening so far....

Problem.png

Yeah; the Normal commands don't know what to do with ngons. First thing you need to do is to optimize all points, and then connect any unconnected loops all round the model, thus removing the ngons, leaving only quads (or less ideally triangles). Once you've done that, the Normal commands will work as expected.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your reply first of all. How would I go about doing that ? Like I said, I haven't got much experience yet. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

How would I go about doing that ?

With the knife tool. If you're not sure how to cut in a loop I can only advise you watch some basic poly modelling tutorials on YouTube, 

like this one.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I know about the knife tool and the loop mode (having watched some vids like you said), but what would the end result be ? Where exactly should I cut the thing ? It's backed up, so I'm not afraid to experiment at this point :))

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, but naah, that wouldn't be right. I want to do be able to do it myself :D Yes I know it's more daunting this way, since the solution is probably really simple and it only takes a couple of clicks, but that's all the more reason to struggle on my own.

OK, I'll try and explain it with words, although you are making my job harder by not giving me the file to demonstrate on.

Edge loops need to go all the way round the model, so every time you have a loop that stops (and you have loads), you have to manually connect it all the way round with the knife tool in line mode. So where all those edges come off the front of the circle and then stop when they reach the front poly ? Those need to carry on all the way round the model.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes I know it's tougher this way, so your patience is much appreciated :D Also watched the vid you provided again - have seen it before in one of my other "quests" :))

So I'm in point mode, select knife, set it in loop mode, alright, all good up to this point. I have done it before, but what am I cutting exactly ? What am I looking for ? If I choose loop selection, I can see the white loop encircling the "footprint" of the yellow area, but not the blue area. I'm assuming the goal is to have this line go all around the object somehow (I'm using plain language here rather than buzz words, since I reckon you call that "line" an "edge loop" in pro slang).

5 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

So I'm in point mode, select knife, set it in loop mode, alright, all good up to this point.

No. When did I say loop mode ? :) You want line mode.

I'm not going to help any more unless you provide the scene file, because giving you correct advice means being able to see all of the model, which I cannot do from your single screenshot. Me using your original scene file to show you how is not cheating - you will still have to do the cuts yourself when I can show you where to make them. So it's up to you - do you want the help or not ? ;)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes I do, but I'm still considering whether it's worth the headache....

Had a mess around myself and I think I may be on to something, but I won't know until I see it being done.

It's part of a file which contains various other f-ups, so I copied just the object in question into a new file - hope that didn't affect anything.....

Cyl.c4d

Well, in the version you sent through (isolated part fine btw), the normals were correct ! :)

However, I found other problems with this mesh - there are internal faces which you need to remove, but to be honest the topology you have is so divergent from what is ideal that you might as well start again.

Knowing that you want to try these things yourself, I won't upload the scene file, but I will show you this, which demonstrates what the topology for this shape should look like, and you can try on your own, and come back to me asking for more detailed instructions if you get stuck...

Here's my version, viewed from above and below - note how my nice even loops go all the way round the model...

cuts.thumb.jpg.821ccb7040d466bf1878fdff4aebf58d.jpg

CBR