Sign in to follow this  
Dannyx

Help with normals

• Topic Author
  • Will try it tomorrow (it's rather late here). I'll break it for sure at first, but that's part of the learning curve.

To make sure I understand this: the "center loop of edges "refers to when the object is "flat" or already extruded ? There have been quite a few steps so far and I can't remember where to do this TBH. Thanks

These are the centreline edges... the ones on the symmetry axis.

centreline.thumb.jpg.1fb434d0f795a03d541cf0d90871de10.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Good. Hopefully this will work out....did it work for you from the first shot or did you have to tweak it after dropping it into the subdivision surface ? Just curious. I also noticed something which may be an issue as well: the half you showed has no caps (is hollow), whereas when I extruded mine, those sides have a cap (you can't see "inside" the object). I assume it's that "create caps" option again. Fortunately, I did a save just before extruding the thing so it's still flat and I can go again from there.

8 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

did it work for you from the first shot or did you have to tweak it after dropping it into the subdivision surface ?

No, it was right for me straight away, but then I have 15 years+ of modelling experience, so it's reasonable to expect that might take you a little longer... but you can always put the model under HN now, then you can see what the final curve will look like while you move the points about.

8 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

also noticed something which may be an issue as well: the half you showed has no caps (is hollow), whereas when I extruded mine, those sides have a cap (you can't see "inside" the object). I assume it's that "create caps" option again.

Yes it is very important that there are no polygons along the centerline - it should be hollow like mine is. If you leave those you will break the subdivision when it goes under Hypernurbs.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes it is very important that there are no polygons along the centerline - it should be hollow like mine is. If you leave those you will break the subdivision when it goes under Hypernurbs.

That's the problem then. It will probably work for me too now.

If some of the edges turn out too round when adding the subdivision surface (which they always do), I learned that adding a cut close to the edge straightens the edge out and this can be done even after the object is inside the subdivision surface (which is what I believe you refer to as HN - hypernurbs -  back there, since it took me a while to realize that :)) ) The resulting cut can be "slid" back and forth, closer or further from the edge to control this roundness- layman terms.

4 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

That's the problem then. It will probably work for me too now.

If some of the edges turn out too round when adding the subdivision surface (which they always do), I learned that adding a cut close to the edge straightens the edge out and this can be done even after the object is inside the subdivision surface (which is what I believe you refer to as HN - hypernurbs -  back there, since it took me a while to realize that :)) ) The resulting cut can be "slid" back and forth, closer or further from the edge to control this roundness- layman terms.

I'm referring to it as Hypernurbs because I thought that's what it was called in R15, which your profile says you're using. On reflection, perhaps they changed it to SDS before that. But yes, I do mean Subdivision Surface. And yes moving lines closer (or adding what are known as control loops) is how we control roundness under subdivision. That's kinda the golden rule of SDS poly modelling.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I'm back on this "project" since I've been rather busy lately.

I still can't get the smoothing of the circle right: still has that rough edge.

I got closer to a circle at the top, but the bottom is still very far off.

5a510294426cd_Gettingthere.thumb.png.95fcc448d61acf519571fad53d389c7e.png

I'm not sure what's causing the rounding issue to begin with, since problems only seem to appear when I enable to symmetry object

Looks like it's caused by polygons on the symmetry line, which shouldn't be there.

Could you upload the file so I can check that is the case ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Here it is. I just kept the bare minimum immediately after extrusion (since I went back to the first stage where I had just the "flat" object), so I'm aware there should be some control cuts close to the edges there to make it less rounded but I didn't make them at that point. Something tells me the extrusion is definitely not right though, because it's got no cap at the bottom. It's so close ! It's SO CLOSE to being correct, but something's telling me I'm missing something really simple. Thanks.

Cyl.c4d

Lots wrong there. Polygons on the symmetry line, symmetry and SDS in wrong order, no control loops.

You needed to delete these polys.

5a510c880becb_cyl2deletepolys.thumb.jpg.25cfc506a03b2b679f0466976353ea72.jpg

I fixed all that in this version...

5a510bd2c4e4e_cl2fix.thumb.jpg.7fb7075c82b8a2ca632544469aef3b25.jpg

Cyl 2 fixed.c4d

CBR