• Topic Author
  • Ok, I'm back on this "project" since I've been rather busy lately.

I still can't get the smoothing of the circle right: still has that rough edge.

I got closer to a circle at the top, but the bottom is still very far off.

5a510294426cd_Gettingthere.thumb.png.95fcc448d61acf519571fad53d389c7e.png

I'm not sure what's causing the rounding issue to begin with, since problems only seem to appear when I enable to symmetry object

Looks like it's caused by polygons on the symmetry line, which shouldn't be there.

Could you upload the file so I can check that is the case ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Here it is. I just kept the bare minimum immediately after extrusion (since I went back to the first stage where I had just the "flat" object), so I'm aware there should be some control cuts close to the edges there to make it less rounded but I didn't make them at that point. Something tells me the extrusion is definitely not right though, because it's got no cap at the bottom. It's so close ! It's SO CLOSE to being correct, but something's telling me I'm missing something really simple. Thanks.

Cyl.c4d

Lots wrong there. Polygons on the symmetry line, symmetry and SDS in wrong order, no control loops.

You needed to delete these polys.

5a510c880becb_cyl2deletepolys.thumb.jpg.25cfc506a03b2b679f0466976353ea72.jpg

I fixed all that in this version...

5a510bd2c4e4e_cl2fix.thumb.jpg.7fb7075c82b8a2ca632544469aef3b25.jpg

Cyl 2 fixed.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Fixed it myself too in the meantime. Rather than using the symmetry I did it all in one piece. Have a look at THIS instead and tell me if it's the right way....I actually blew through it and did it in no time at all :D That being said, it could probably use some polishing though: I didn't take time to precisely position the control cuts - I just threw them on there to square off the edges.

CylOK.c4d

5 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

Have a look at THIS instead and tell me if it's the right way...

Closer, but you are missing the 2 control loops inside the hole.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Gotcha, so I should grab the knife in loop mode, mouse around the inside lip until the white line shows up and make a cut all around like so ? (my cursor didn't show up in the snapshot for some reason but it WAS there, moving the white circle around - layman terms again there, sorry about that, I should call it a control cut !)

There should also be one at the bottom lip too of course.

Getting there2.png

• Topic Author
  • Great. Got it !

Let's take it to the next level (sorry if I'm pushing it): I want to bore two holes in this thing to add screws. The way I did it, which is definitely not professional IMO, is I took a cylinder, threw it in a boole object and positioned it where I want it. While it DOES do what I need, I don't think it will win any awards for best hole in C4D :)) I watched some tutorials on how to do it WITHOUT the boole, but my surface is slightly more tricky to work with because it's at an angle. How would one go about creating a round hole in a slanted surface like THAT ? Looks hard enough to do... Thanks again.

Hole.png

34 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

Great. Got it !

Let's take it to the next level (sorry if I'm pushing it): I want to bore two holes in this thing to add screws. The way I did it, which is definitely not professional IMO, is I took a cylinder, threw it in a boole object and positioned it where I want it. While it DOES do what I need, I don't think it will win any awards for best hole in C4D :)) I watched some tutorials on how to do it WITHOUT the boole, but my surface is slightly more tricky to work with because it's at an angle. How would one go about creating a round hole in a slanted surface like THAT ? Looks hard enough to do... Thanks again.

Hole.png

Yes, a boole is the lazy unprofessional way to do it and is out of the question if you're using subdivision, which requires quads.

Being on an angle doesn't make it any harder. It would be harder if it was on a curved surface. however you will need to change the modelling axis while you model this. 'Normal' will be the most helpful mode for that.

The way to do this properly is like so...

hole.thumb.jpg.20115bf4471812eb3f04bc115e328e67.jpg

Essentially you need to add 2 edge loops, one on X and another on Y, that give you a quad of polys you can inner extrude and use points-to-circle- script to get perfect circle. If you don't have that, sliding points using an 8 sided nside spline as a guide will get a similar result.

Then it's down to inner extruding, extruding in the hole, adding control loops and you're done.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I tried something on my own while I was waiting for your response and I managed to obtain THIS....ok so it's probably not correct, but it was a bold attempt :))

Hole.thumb.png.245e9583957411c819fe8857a9f164ef.png

Yes, I know it's square for one thing and requires a lot more work so the subdivision surface doesn't mess it up, but I tried. Selected the side of the hook thing we modeled earlier, extrude inner, grab the edges of the resulting surface, pull those towards the back while holding CTRL and hey-ho we got a hole....I thought I was all done LOL (nope :)) ), but then turned on the subdiv and although not horrible, the edges of the hole are WAY too round.

Also, I WAS able to obtain the shape you created (the surface being indeed flat), but I scrapped it because it's not what I need. If you look close enough, realistically, the boole one comes closer to real life. Like if I were to try and mount this block thing to a wall by putting a bolt through the holes you made, the head wouldn't sit flush with the bottom of the hole - the screw head would sit at an angle because the hole's axis is parallel to the side, not to the base at the back (which is how it is in the boole one). I'm not saying the boole SHOULD be used just because of that, it's just that it's how it should LOOK to give you an idea of what I'm trying to make :D

I believe some control cuts need to be made to perhaps improve the one I made but it's late now, I'll work on it some other time.

Keep in touch and thanks for your time once again - HIGHLY appreciated :) Cheers.

Yeah if you want me to do the right kind of hole, you will need to show me a photo of the thing you are trying to make ! My Psi-powers aren't what they used to be :)

CBR