Sign in to follow this  
Dannyx

Help with normals

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

When we're talking about modelling specifics always post stuff so we can see the lines

Ok. I much prefer giving you the file so you can mess around with it, flip it around and go in and out small spaces a screen capture isn't able to...well, capture (pun intended) :)) It's probably very messy in there, so be prepared to flip out, since it's far from perfect like I said. One thing you won't be proud of is how I made the rivet head - it's almost certain it's wrong despite not having n-gons or triangles (that's not enough for something to be "pro").

I shall indeed add some control cuts along the edges of the "tunnel" to make it less round.

Cyl.c4d

Yeah, that's not entirely awful :) Except this bit - you've fallen into another modelling trap, where your axis was wrong when you did the inner extrude, which has given you this horrible wonky wall !

wonky.thumb.jpg.ccdbf789cfeff55aec06b67f6c0f1ddc.jpg

That should be planar, so you need to select all the polygons on that side that are meant to be flat, put the axis in normal mode, and scale them to 0 on the correct axis. I also added 2 support loops inside and outside the pocket, which definitely helps. If it's too tight, don't delete those supports; just move them further away from the center edge loop.

Lastly, I would still advise that you'll get a better hole (with nicer and more controllable rounding) if you add that edge loop I mentioned earlier across the whole model on X. It could be argued that loop should be there anyway, to even up polysize across the mesh. It's good to make polys as regular as you can.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Except this bit

Never even noticed that and had a hard time even figuring out where that part is in my mesh :)) It's looking down on it.

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lastly, I would still advise that you'll get a better hole (with nicer and more controllable rounding) if you add that edge loop I mentioned earlier across the whole model on X

Are we talking about those two cuts near the top and bottom lips of the main "cylinder" we mentioned earlier, that I never got about to do ? I didn't forget them - I just left them for later so they shall be done to get it over with.

So, to do list:

Straighten the wall

Add control cuts to both the cylinder hole and the pocket hole

oh and of course.....

make the other rivet as well :))

Funnily enough, you didn't criticize my belly button rivet head thing too much - the part which I was expecting to get the most reprimand :))

13 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

Funnily enough, you didn't criticize my belly button rivet head thing too much - the part which I was expecting to get the most reprimand :))

Ha , no you'd apologized for that in advance so I ignored that bit :)

13 minutes ago, Dannyx said:

Are we talking about those two cuts near the top and bottom lips of the main "cylinder" we mentioned earlier, that I never got about to do ?

No, I mean this cut here. Note how it allows us to slightly more define the shape of the hole as well.

loop.thumb.jpg.e96e7e32754629172f2fdb86c9f84db7.jpg

For ultimate quality subdivision and even more control of the hole you could add one the other way (Y) so the hole becomes 8 pointed like so...

5a52756ce3011_8pointhole.thumb.jpg.fbe699a546c2961c817df227f6d5e6c3.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Will have a mess around  tomorrow to see what happens.

Was I close to getting the rivet head right too ? I also want to get that out of the way :))

1 minute ago, Dannyx said:

Was I close to getting the rivet head right too ? I also want to get that out of the way :))

Should be around tomorrow to help, if you can find me a photo of the type of rivet you want ;)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just a round rivet head in there - what I made was pretty close, just to give you an idea. Imagine a sliced sphere. It's THIS.

I'll require rivet heads like those in various places along my project, so it's a good idea to learn how to make one, so I can then hopefully create them on any type of surface.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Btw - with rivets and whatnot, they don't need to be part of the main model. They should remain separate meshes so that you can texture them differently.

CBR

Here's how I'd do it including the hole at the back, though this is unnecessary if you won't see it in the render.

5a52859652b7d_hole1.thumb.jpg.70596b15d4023949b8b24d0c3ee83eab.jpg  5a52859dacfdf_hole2.thumb.jpg.b14fd9c7b1513bad51a85e5a7795767b.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I think that's perfect - the shape of the head that is. The shaft of the rivet is indeed unnecessary for my purposes. The head however is perfect and it's precisely what I'm aiming for. The hole is a bit too big though now :))

Texturing is another thing we'll have to discuss later at one point or another and this has indeed crossed my mind, as the rivets would need to be of slightly different color and whatnot, so I did consider making them separately at one point, though I wasn't sure if this would be the right way to do things. I then run into alignment challenges and stuff...