Guest Nicosh

Can Clones collide through Cloth?

Guest Nicosh

Hey,

my first post, a bit scared...

Im trying to get a spheres to replicate and tear through a cloth membrane,

I've added rigid body tag to the clones so that interact with each other,

-added cloth collider to the clones as well

-and the membrane is a cloth material....

they don't interact at all, am I missing something simple? or does the cloth collider simply not work with cloned objects?

heres some photos for reference...

1.thumb.png.d4fa9887bd3df8db9ac7590d5086ed46.png2.thumb.png.7a9e2d5524fbe0a55f1c4cfe74f9e992.png3.thumb.png.9ff1a2d4fc54ea3d46b3d0a16e7b7765.png

ideally the cloth tears... or reacts at all in the second image

THNKS!

Guest Nicosh
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera:) 

any suggestions on an alternative root to have spheres multiple inside and break through with out using the clone, or without using the cloth?

No I've since deleted that reply, because I am not 100% sure about my initial answer, and I'm not by my C4D machine at the moment so can't test my hypothesis :)

I notice that you are trying to use parametric objects in the cloner, and I do wonder if making that editable might make it respond as a cloth collider, although I am still a very long way from sure that something can be both a dynamic object and a cloth collider. I'll do some tests when I get home.

If this isn't going to work, the only option you have left is to use a dynamic softbody instead of cloth, but of course that can't tear in the same way that cloth can. I'll have a think about this.

CBR

You could try playing with the Collision Deformer to deform the pink sphere as the cloned spheres push out. (hidden at render time.)

Then on a second sphere sphere with a cloth tag on for tearing and a child  Mesh Deformer which references the previous sphere's deformations.

This way you could set the limit of stretching before the second sphere tears, but it's shape is driven by the first (hidden sphere's Collision Deformer).

I haven't tried it, just a thought.

Is it possible for you to upload just that part of your project?

What you've done should work, but it may be a simple setting that is stopping it.

I did this very quickly, so please excuse the quality, but is this basically what you're trying to do? If so, in principle I've done what you've done with tags and as you can see it works. I've only added the cloth only for the look, but it's not necessary.

cloth-explode.thumb.gif.cb25ed0577cb6f94ac1c0156ed7d400f.gif

1 hour ago, ABMotion said:

What you've done should work, but it may be a simple setting that is stopping it.

Oh that is interesting. I really wasn't expecting cloth colliders to work on dynamic objects. But I see they do. Knowledgebase updated ! Cheers, AB. I hope that's the case in OP's version 16.50 as well !

CBR