athenatrix

Recommendations for New Monitor

My old 30" Apple Cinema Display just died!  =8-Q  >:-(   Yeah, I'll try fixing it, but many say it'll be a waste of time and money, something else will fail soon, and it's just too old.  I do feel that I'm hanging on to it for sentimental value...lol.

So I need to buy a replacement.  It'll be used for C4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.  Only maybe for a few games if I get game-related contracts.  I do not do super critical print work pre-press, etc. 

I currently have a 20" I can use for little things once I get an adapter for it, but it's old, crappy and could die any day too.  I sometimes use my 6 year old 46" TV (1920 x 1080) too, but not up close, of course.  So I'm looking at either a 1:1 replacement (30" 2560 x 1600) or getting 2 smaller monitors.  I do have a 5k 27" iMac so I can see retina rez when I need it.

I'd love to hear what you guys use and recommend?  

I got a replacement for my old 24", FullHD Eizo monitor and I'm super happy with it.

Eizo FlexScan EV3237 (31.5", 3840x2160 and 80% AdobeRGB)

an alternative would have been the ASUS ProArt PA329Q, which is a bit more expensive, but 32" and 99.5% AdobeRGB

I decided myself for the Eizo, because the mechanics are very good and I never had a problem so far with Eizo.

• Like 1

Slightly rambling response..

I was using two HD monitors for years, then I got excited about the new 34 inch Dell widescreen monitor. Good resolution, decent colour representation, and simpler and cleaner on the desk.

It was mostly great, however the actual resolution (3440x1440) makes it a bit unwieldy, for compositing in particular. If you're creating HD content and want to look at a full HD window in after effects then the available space for layers, tools etc is greatly reduced. After using the single monitor for nearly a year I got a 2nd monitor, this one a 4k eizo grading monitor. Expensive but awesome. 

A side note, I recently got a new TV (first new one in 7 years so I wanted to get something decent) and ended up getting one of the LG Oled TVs. Oh my god, OLED is insane. Price wise they are comparable with an Eizo and if you don't need hardware calibration and just want amazing pictures that could be another option for you to consider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I was using two HD monitors for years, then I got excited about the new 34 inch Dell widescreen monitor. Good resolution, decent colour representation, and simpler and cleaner on the desk.

It was mostly great, however the actual resolution (3440x1440) makes it a bit unwieldy, for compositing in particular. If you're creating HD content and want to look at a full HD window in after effects then the available space for layers, tools etc is greatly reduced. After using the single monitor for nearly a year I got a 2nd monitor, this one a 4k eizo grading monitor. Expensive but awesome. 

A side note, I recently got a new TV (first new one in 7 years so I wanted to get something decent) and ended up getting one of the LG Oled TVs. Oh my god, OLED is insane. Price wise they are comparable with an Eizo and if you don't need hardware calibration and just want amazing pictures that could be another option for you to consider.

I used to use a 46 in led Samsung tv as a monitor it was rediculous :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

I used to use a 46 in led Samsung tv as a monitor it was rediculous :D

Ha yeah it's like having an IMAX computer

• Like 1

yea especially when you drop a cube in the scene and it's the size of your head :D must admit I do miss having a big screen. 

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Visionnext said:

I got a replacement for my old 24", FullHD Eizo monitor and I'm super happy with it.

Eizo FlexScan EV3237 (31.5", 3840x2160 and 80% AdobeRGB)

an alternative would have been the ASUS ProArt PA329Q, which is a bit more expensive, but 32" and 99.5% AdobeRGB

I decided myself for the Eizo, because the mechanics are very good and I never had a problem so far with Eizo.

THAT's the upscale brand name I was trying to remember.  It's been a looooooooong time since I looked at monitors seriously.  But holy cr@p they make that $5700 thing I have in my previous notes.  I guess that's why I steered away initially.  I'll have to check out their more affordable stuff.  

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, grain said:

My main client has one of those huge LGs and says it's insane.  He's chummy with LG Germany and gets all the latest stuff for his demos.  I can't wait until I feel good enough to travel and check it out in person.  Sadly my Sony is almost 7 years old and I'm hoping that holds on for just a little long, because I, too, will want to replace it with something decent.  But after a new PC and now some new monitors, I need to take a financial breather.

I also looked at those wide screens and thought they looked cool.  I've always had this fantasy of a whole sphere... or maybe just a hemisphere of monitors around me...lol.  

My main client has me creating content at 3840 x 2160.  Even animation.  I will never see what he sees during demos as I can never afford whatever barely released super TV he's using for demos.  Sure, some stuff ends up on the web, but that's easy.  

12 hours ago, athenatrix said:

THAT's the upscale brand name I was trying to remember.  It's been a looooooooong time since I looked at monitors seriously.  But holy cr@p they make that $5700 thing I have in my previous notes.  I guess that's why I steered away initially.  I'll have to check out their more affordable stuff.  

The Asus monitor I talked about is available at approx. 1,400 EUR here in Europe. The Eizo is about 100 EUR cheaper.