timopa

Avoid joint twist on 2d ik-rig pole move

Hello,

I`m trying to create a simple 2d stick figure rig. I`m using IK-tags, with goals and pole vectors to define the bend direction of the limbs.

I`d like to be able to bend the limbs in both direction when needed, and usually I do that moving the pole vector accordingly.

In this case I`m experiencing this twisting of the the joints which cause the planes defining the arm flip 180 degrees. I know I could animate the twist value in the IK tag, but I`d like to to avoid extra keyframes.

As a little background, I`m going to export this kind of character to Unity, which by default uses one sided materials, so the twisting causes the limbs to disapper. Also it would fllip any attached texture to be mirrored...

• Topic Author
  • I realized that this flipping is a natural thing in 3D, but I somehow managed to force it not flip. The rig has progressed quite a bit and I have run into so many more problems, that uploading a scene file doesn`t make sense right now. Forcing a 3D program to work like flat 2D program seems to be quite hard.

If I were to render in C4D, I would manage these problems, but since it`s going a realtime thing in Unity I`m unsure about many things.