CGIHercules

Making anim. short, topology questions ?

Rectro    632

My workflow In Zbrush modify  the lids to fit the a single eye, then duplicate and mirror, done.  I am aware you can use the mirror tool in C4D which is faster but I often use the sculpting tools in Zbrush to get the lids to fit the eyes.

eye mirror in zbrush.jpg

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • @Rectro I agree on all of it. It's one thing to watch tutorials (that I do every single day) but jumping in the fire and actually facing these problems is totally different ball game and ACTUALLY teaches you THE MOST. That's why even though I know I bit on more than I can chew I think this project will force me into dealing with stuff I never wanted to deal before and make me learn correct ways of doing things.

I do exact same technique in Zbrush with DUPLICATE object + MIRROR on the X axis for perfectly symmetrical copy. So I was gonna go the same way about eyes. I would go with a whole sphere with a slightly protruded iris and for eye lids I was gonna do HALF OF A SPHERE cut in half and than in half again. So second cutting would make them be splitting down the middle like our eye lids do. Also I would peform BOOLEAN in ZBrush with eye cutting in the eye lid sphere to make a space for eye geometry and than I would retopo it both so they have correct quad only geometry.

Rectro    632
    2 minutes ago, CGIHercules said:

Also I would peform BOOLEAN in ZBrush with eye cutting in the eye lid sphere to make a space for eye geometry and than I would retopo it both so they have correct quad only geometry.

Thats a good idea, iv not used the boolean in Zbrush yet, not used half the new features to be honnest.

Dan

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • 24 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Thats a good idea, iv not used the boolean in Zbrush yet, not used half the new features to be honnest.

Dan

It's pretty cool and somewhat simple but also much like in any other program it will leave you with a messy geometry except that in ZBrush you can Zremesh it in a click of a button and get it to be guads only. And since eye lid in my case wont really deform just rotate (pivot) I don't have to be super precise obsessed with best possible geometry. They will be small and half hidden anyway and just rotating like revolving doors.

Rectro    632
    27 minutes ago, CGIHercules said:

It's pretty cool and somewhat simple but also much like in any other program it will leave you with a messy geometry except that in ZBrush you can Zremesh it in a click of a button and get it to be guads only. And since eye lid in my case wont really deform just rotate (pivot) I don't have to be super precise obsessed with best possible geometry. They will be small and half hidden anyway and just rotating like revolving doors.

Do you intend to have separate eyelids to the head geometry as of course you have already make your retopo mesh now?

Dan

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, Rectro said:

Do you intend to have separate eyelids to the head geometry as of course you have already make your retopo mesh now?

Dan

Well yes, since I guess in this cartoony style that wouldn't matter. I can always add polys and extrude inside of the eye sockets if you think thats better wat to go but I WAS gonna have 2 eyes and 2 eyelids (made out of 2 objects each upper/lower eyelid) added as separate objects rigged to the head.

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • Something like this...but maaaan, 660 polys per eye...damn. I was hoping for less. So both eyes combined wil be almost as the rest of the character LOL. Well I better have it ready for the close up scenes so I guess I will just take the hit.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.30.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.31.01 PM.png

Rectro    632
    13 minutes ago, CGIHercules said:

Something like this...but maaaan, 660 polys per eye...damn. I was hoping for less. So both eyes combined wil be almost as the rest of the character LOL. Well I better have it ready for the close up scenes so I guess I will just take the hit.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.30.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.31.01 PM.png

Delete the inner shell leaving just the shelf edge for the eye lids.  Is that a large ngon on the back of that eye, if so delete that.

Dan

eye lid.c4d

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Delete the inner shell leaving just the shelf edge for the eye lids.  Is that a large ngon on the back of that eye, if so delete that.

Dan

Yap, I managed to drop it to 181 with drop in initial poly number and than not applying EXTRUDE like before. I hope this wont look thin like a paper in the render.

Now I guess I would just insert another little black ball that would be an iris and that's what would be animated right ?

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.55.03 PM.png

Rectro    632
    2 minutes ago, CGIHercules said:

Yap, I managed to drop it to 181 with drop in initial poly number and than not applying EXTRUDE like before. I hope this wont look thin like a paper in the render.

Now I guess I would just insert another little black ball that would be an iris and that's what would be animated right ?

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 3.55.03 PM.png

have a look at this file.  276 polys no visual difference

Dan

eye lid.c4d

CGIHercules    16
  • Topic Author
  • 17 minutes ago, Rectro said:

have a look at this file.  276 polys no visual difference

Dan

eye lid.c4d

Oh man that's a great idea...extrude without a cap. Awesome. So how would you go about placing iris in ?

Rectro    632
    45 minutes ago, CGIHercules said:

Oh man that's a great idea...extrude without a cap. Awesome. So how would you go about placing iris in ?

Id make the eye two shells.  rather than explain it il post a file.

Please forgive the lashes, I just love playing in C4D.  The eye has basic animation on it, the outer shell of course can be half a shell.  This is how I make basic eyes, only I normaly Uv map it and use textures, in this example I just use procedural. 

dan

eye lid2.c4d