Arivald    1

I've been trying to learn cinema for a loooong time, always giving up after the first few hours. This time I decided to stick around to see what I can produce.

I made a teacup with a tiny plate because the texture right in the middle of the plate is grey and I have no idea how to fix it :'( I also tried making a spoon but the very end of it looks weird. My texture game is very weak, but i don't think I did too bad for a first try at actually making something!

Id love to hear your thoughts and advice!

cup render.png

• Like 1

ABMotion    170

Great early work there. You've learnt the first important lesson which is perseverance. It takes a long time to get good at anything.

A bit of feedback is that the wood texture around the cup could either be mapped differently or repeated more frequently so that it doesn't look so stretched. I would make the spoon a bit more metallic and reflective and last, I'd make the saucer (plate) a little larger. These things, of course, are subjective and depend on what look you're going for.

The grey part in the saucer looks like repeated geometry that has no material or perhaps bad geometry created somehow in the way you've modeled it. If you can upload the scene, it will easily be solved.

Keep going :)

Arivald    1
  • Topic Author
  • I made the wood texture a bit smaller and changed the projection to cubic, it helped a bit. I have no idea how to change the plate texture though, I couldn't find a better texture for the spoon to make it look more metallic, as for making it more reflective I added 5 specular layers but its still not as reflective as I would like it to be. 

I couldn't upload the scene here as the file is too big so I put it in a rar and dropbox -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxzvu0natcusz76/tea cup.rar?dl=0

ABMotion    170

I have downloaded your file and unfortunately you've used V-Ray which I don't have or use I'm sorry, so I can't actually look at your textures or help you with how they are made and test fully for you.

I can see that you've modeled using Lofts for the Cup and Saucer (plate), so that is probably where you are getting strange geometry. I added C4D Standard materials to the Saucer (plate) and it looks fine and does not have a separate gray piece when rendered but the Cup does have a Circle Spline (bottom one in the hierarchy) that is below the Saucer (plate) and therefore intersects with the Saucer (plate), so that will cause issues. You need to move that last Circle spline up in Y so it doesn't intersect with the Saucer (plate).

Eventually you should learn to model using hard surface modeling instead of using Lofts. There are many tutorials online and people in this forum like @Cerbera, @Rectro and @VECTOR that will help you if you want to learn how to do that properly. Start learning, produce models and then come back with questions.

As an example to start you off, this tutorial is the closest I can find that matches your project shows that hard surface modeling techniques to make a cup, saucer and teaspoon. You can at least see the difference between how you've modeled and how they do to see what I mean:

If you use other than standard renderers, it is good to put that in your post so that people who have that renderer can help you specifically. In your bio it says you have Cinema 4D Lite, but I didn't think that could use V-Ray. You may want to update that.

Rectro    561

Hi

Your grey area on plate is caused by you having Luminocity on, you dont need this on unless you want the geometry to be a light source.  GGX for the spec type is a nice one to use, and depending on what look you want will be how you set the metal up.  For pure chrome, you need black diffuse, GGX, higher refraction works well.

The environment counts for alot here.  Add a dome light with a advance Bitmap shader in which you load a HDR image.  This will make a good deal of difference.

Always add a bevel on a hard surface edge, even if its only slight.  In the real world there is no such thing as a perfect sharp edge, there is always a bevel even if slight.  This  bevel will add a edge for light to catch and make the image look more realistic.  The plate is a mess.  If it looks a mess when looking at its structure the chances are it will have some issues when rendering.  As it so happends most of the middle surface is covered by the cut so you just got away with this.

Saucer Modeling see image below.

Overal you have done a nice job.  Stick at it, each one you do will just getting better and better, and this is not a bad start at all.

Dan

bevel deformer.jpg

Saucer modeling.jpg

cup and saucer vray.png

Rectro    561
    2 hours ago, Arivald said:

I couldn't find a better texture for the spoon to make it look more metallic, as for making it more reflective I added 5 specular layers but its still not as reflective as I would like it to be. 

You dont need 5 layers of spec, you need to change the Reflection angle from default while to a darker colour, this will bring the spec forward similar to when you bring the IOR up in value fore fresnel.  In image before see how the wood grain now shows, and how the edge of the handle is highlighted.

Dan

reflection angle.jpg