Sign in to follow this  
hebeinpj

dynamic mop strands

Hello C4D'ers,

I am trying to make a dynamic mop, in which the strands of the mop will follow the mop handle as it moves, and the strands will collide  with each other and other objects. I could really use some help on this!

Thank you for your time!

Peter

Use the Hair Object to create what you want. Create the mop model and place hair on the end of the mop. Once you've created your model, you add objects that you want the hair to interact with and put Hair Tags>Hair Dynamics tags onto those so the mop hairs collide with those objects. Hair objects collide with each other as well.

Hair can be a Hair Material or can be converted to Splines or Geometry using the Hair Object. 

It's a big subject and Hair Objects have many options, so I won't type up too much here for now. There are many hair tutorials online, but to get you started, see video below and come back with specific questions as you have them.

• Topic Author
  • Awesome! Thank you. I will give this tutorial a shot and see what I can do!

I will just add that if your camera is going very close to that mop head then you can still use hair, but use instanced geometry with it (via the generator tab) to get some very realistic results. Mops tend to have strands that are sort of half way between thick string and thin ultra-loose-weave twisted yarn, which you can make very effectively with an epicycloid spline in a sweep, with sweep rotation twisting the profile, after which you'd make that editable and then it's ready for use with hair geometry instancing.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • CBR,

Wow, thank you. I need to do more research on that. I seems above me, haha. I hope the above tutorial goes into instancing geometry

Peter