RenderStorm Farm

Ozzee

Animating 30+ imported 3D objects

Ozzee    0

Hi guys,

I am starting my adventure with C4D and I recently hit a brick wall. I want to create an animation of nearly 3 dozen of 3D objects  but I can't find any tuts that would address my issue.

I have created the models in Adobe After Effects by auto-tracing the PNG files of different games characters, extruding, bevelling them and applying the textures from the PNG in Elements3D so they look like "cake candles" (the effect I was looking for). Now after exporting them and importing to C4D I have all my 32 objects with 7 tags each grouped in a null.

So far so good. In my head I have this idea of starting the animation with them scattered and then appearing from different angles and places of the scene to stack and create a small loose mob of characters in the last frame of the animation. I need some guidance so the movement is not just a straight line (I can achieve that no problem) but to achieve this effect effectively and ideally with some gravity and "organic feel".

Whenever I try to use a Mograph or Effector on my null containing these objects either they are not affected or my C4D freezes or stops responding as the effects "see" each object containing thousands of polygons, this times 32 = big no, no for my PC..

The best attempt I had was to add the Rigid Body Dynamics to the elements then place an Attractor Effector with a negative value (so it repulses objects) but then it is very random and impossible to have a proper camera work around the objects + I would need that in reversion :)

I could share the file if necessary, please help as I have spent the major part of a month now reading and watching tuts and the itch of knowing what you want but not knowing how to achieve is unbearable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Oscar

Greatszalam    82

I do not understand your modeling procedures at all, but if they work for you, great. (It's much easier to model stuff in Cinema 4D!)

Anyway, you can simply set keyframes and play with the animation curves in the f-curve version of the timeline to get good, full control of your animation.

maliohammad    298

Hello and welcome to the cafe :)

When approaching such projects you should not get scared by the number of objects you have to animate, instead do them one by one properly and eventually you animation will look the way you want. 

Also I would do the animation manually without using dynamics at all (even the "organic feeling") as you get much more control and it runs much faster in c4d this way. 

It may seem impossible and complicated at first, but with some patient and determination it will be easy to do. 

Best regards,

Isleofgough    12

Depending on what you want to do with your “crowd” scene, this can get complicated. Typically, there are three types of animations: transforms, morphs, and rigging. These are all done differently. Consider a zombie apocalypse. You want your characters to change position over time(transforms). You want them to shuffle (rigging). You want them to make weird faces (pose morphs).

Ozzee    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for your responses! I do realise that the modelling procedure I used is far from professional, not clear and overly complicated but I wanted originally to create the animation in AE, however I found out that it's not the right tool for this so jumped to C4D importing what I have already created :) In the meantime after a ton of other tuts and lecture I think I will attempt to animate the objects along splines and see the results.

Once again thanks for your input guys :)

Regards

Isleofgough    12

I’ve done a lot of animations in after effects, but would agree with others that modeling in C4D will be easier and better. You can create a background image in a frontal plane with your png graphic and trace the outline with a curve or start with the poly pen tool or a grid and move points to match. Extrudes on polygons can be done by moving faces with control key held and bevels are easy. Birthday candles are a five minute job. Extrudes on curves are in the nurb options.