szender    0

I want to make a high viscosity oil fluid. Not animation, just still. Like this one.
I realy don't know how to make it. Seems x-particles/metaball cant do that kind of smoothing.
Is there anybody who made something like that?
Maybe sculpting?

051507137731222.jpg

Cerbera    1,968

It is very unlikely you can get enough control to do this with R15 metaballs even if you use massive scaling factors. You'd probably need R17+ for that to be a usable possibility. You can certainly try sculpting a form like this - I have seen it done successfully that way in the past (though the people doing it had epic modelling skills). If you're doing it that way just start making a fairly  low poly model via box modelling, and use iron and smooth to make that a much more organic form, which, provided you have kept your polys even and regular should put you in a good place for further sculpting.

But I'd be very surprised if the X Particles mesher can't do that sort of thing, animated or not. Which version of that do you have ? 

CBR

maliohammad    304

If it is a still image you may as well go with the sculpting method, to make it easier start by doing a rough polygonal object of your liquid, then use it as a base mesh for your sculpting, as it will make things much easier.

ABMotion    238
6 minutes ago, szender said:

None, just saw videos, but they far away from this.

The newer versions of X-Particles 3 & 4 would do a decent job, but a lot of full fluid simulations are done with RealFlow. There is a RealFlow for C4D plugin.

As others have said in this post though, those plugins are probably overkill for a still and as @maliohammad has said, I'd model and then sculpt it. The advantage of this method is that you then have full control over the look of the splash as well. Simulations don't necessarily give you the artistic look you want without lots of experimenting, especially in the case of creating stills.

Cerbera    1,968
27 minutes ago, ABMotion said:

but a lot of full fluid simulations are done with RealFlow. There is a RealFlow for C4D plugin.

That is true, but, contrary to popular belief, not when making this specific type of splash, which is actually surprisingly difficult to achieve in Realflow. Very very hard to art direct as well.

An XP solution would be easier to art direct, but still not as much control as you'd get if you modelled it.

So I agree with AB and Mali that modelling, with or without the sculpting tools is totally the way to go for this.

CBR

Rectro    678

Would it not be worth trying the now free Navie Effex plugin?  That does liquids good, and you can quickly turn a liquid simulation into a mesh in which you can maybe sculpt after, but iv not sculpting it, but the simulation is good.

Dan

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,968
7 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Would it not be worth trying the now free Navie Effex plugin? 

Probably not. I think that only works with R16+.

CBR

Rectro    678
Just now, Cerbera said:

Probably not. I think that only works with R16+.

CBR

Ahh i see, thats a shame.

Dan