Rendercore Lab

Sisela

Buying advice - secondhand

Sisela    1

Apologies if this is has been covered - I searched forum for "buying" and saw nothing. 

I'm currently using a trial of C4D and finding it much more userfriendly than Maya (although 3DSMax was also much more userfriendly, but somewhat overwhelming). In any case, C4D seems a good combination of power, and usability. 

The price is still pretty high however, esp for Studio which has some of the features I'd be interested in (mograph tools etc). So I've been browsing the buy\sell forum. Is there a suggested method for buying\selling on this (or any forum I guess). The posts I've seen just have somebody - in some cases, like me to be fair, with 0 post history - seems risky taking a chance and sending money off to them. Just looking for some general advice on buying in this way I guess. I don't believe Paypal cover purely digital transactions such as buying a licence key. 

The alternative is for me to wait for a decent discount on the software - either Siggraph from what I've read, or hope there is a repeat of last May's 30% off deal (which kept coming in searches when investigated possible discounts). 

Thanks in advance!

Cerbera    1,815
14 minutes ago, Sisela said:

The price is still pretty high however, esp for Studio which has some of the features I'd be interested in

The price is high, but it is very powerful software, and unlike anything by Autodesk you actually own the software forever if you buy a permanent license :)

14 minutes ago, Sisela said:

So I've been browsing the buy\sell forum. Is there a suggested method for buying\selling on this (or any forum I guess). The posts I've seen just have somebody - in some cases, like me to be fair, with 0 post history - seems risky taking a chance and sending money off to them. Just looking for some general advice on buying in this way I guess. I don't believe Paypal cover purely digital transactions such as buying a licence key. 

We at the cafe don't vet people before they post software for sale, so I can understand your concerns, and that might be the reason why some people prefer to wait for the annual 3rd-off sale from MAXON, and get it direct from them. But having said that - in all my time on this site (many years) I have never come across a post from someone who bought a 'for-sale' copy here, and was ripped off. Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but it hasn't so far, AFAIK. Also, because there is a license key involved, you can phone or write to MAXON to check if the serial you are being sold is genuine.

Hope that helps.

CBR

Rectro    646

Hi

I got my Studio licence second hand as like you it was way too expensive for me.  MAXON has provided a guide for both the seller and buyer, this is what I went by to do my deal.  You can ask for the first 11 digits of the serial, with this you can check with MAXON that its lagit.  Its good if you can get it from a studio as they are established in some way which can be checked with the company if its them that are selling a licence.  You can check the persons email as a general check and you may see it come up on other sites and hopefully from the studio they work for.

There may be transfer licence charges from other countries, and also check for Tax being added, or custom fees should there be a box.   There is of course currency exchange which can come out not in your favour.   The box and disks worked out crazy expensive for me to get from another country, so I should have just said to the guy chuck the box away, and purchase a box directly from MAXON  (if its the latest version), it would have worked out a great deal cheaper, and what I didnt realise at the time was that MAXON provided me with the download links anyway.

Another thing to think about is the cost to upgrade from older versions, and the on going cost which can be expensive for the Studio version if you get that version compared to other MAXON products, so a MSA is something you should be thinking about as a long term on going thing.

C4D Studio does sit right in the middle of having a vast tool set, with plenty of power, yet is so intuitive to learn and use in most areas.  The MSA as said is the best way to keep it up to date, and makes the likes of a less featured app MODO looks expensive by comparison.

https://www.MAXON.net/en/header-meta-navigation/about-MAXON/legal/sellingbuying-guidelines/

Dan

Sisela    1
  • Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

The price is high, but it is very powerful software, and unlike anything by Autodesk you actually own the software forever if you buy a permanent license :)

That is a definite plus point for me, and one of the reasons I like the look of C4D (aside from the workflow!). I've got an Adobe CC subscription, and whilst I would like to own outright, the cost for me isn't that great, so happy to keep it subscribed (getting the ongoing updates is great - I guess in the same way as the MSA mentioned below)

8 hours ago, Rectro said:

Another thing to think about is the cost to upgrade from older versions, and the on going cost which can be expensive for the Studio version if you get that version compared to other MAXON products, so a MSA is something you should be thinking about as a long term on going thing.

C4D Studio does sit right in the middle of having a vast tool set, which plenty of power, yet is so intuitive to learn and use in most areas.  The MSA as said is the most best way to keep it up to day, and makes the likes of a less featured MODO looks expensive by comparison.

https://www.MAXON.net/en/header-meta-navigation/about-MAXON/legal/sellingbuying-guidelines/

Ah, brilliant - thanks for the link to their guidelines, and for the MSA advice. I have looked at the MSA briefly, and the cost for upgrading definitely needs to be factored in for me. (along with the cost of XParticles, which look amazing from the demos I've been!)

Thanks both, really useful feedback, and some things for me to look into :-) 

• Namaste 1