ToodelDare

Joint not following parent properly

I just don't want to reset my entire work just for a little mistake.

I'm having this annoying issue where the child joint won't follow the parent joint when I'm moving the parent upwards. It moves ok if I move the parent on Z axis or X axis, but it won't follow 100% on Y axis. Why is this happening?

Character project.c4d

This character is rigged very differently. Hope you find out about the problem. Just in case you don't know what joint is the problem, it's the left hand and the right hand. They have a object goal so it shouldn't be that hard to select.

Hi.

Il take a look for you, but can you tell me what joints or geometry your having this issue with please to speed things up?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • The hand connected to the wrist. for some reason it moves back in the Z axis(the left one) and the right one moves on X axis Only by moving the wrist goal up.

Both hands are set up to work with IK.  Selecting the hand controller for either hand work fine.  Do you have a IK/FK switch or blend, maybe your refering to FK?

• Topic Author
  • Yes they work, but if you take a closer look at the fingers, you can clearly see that they won't stay in the position I put them once you move the wrist up (both wrists)

50 minutes ago, ToodelDare said:

The hand connected to the wrist. for some reason it moves back in the Z axis(the left one) and the right one move on X axis Only by move the wrist goal up.

I think its going to be the case of process of elimination.  This is certainly not a rig that iv worked with, and only you can will fully understand the methods of going about it this way which by the way Im not saying is wrong, Im just not familiar with it.  

It seems to me it points to the method in which your using to conform the geometry to a joint by means of a global matrix node.  Iv not done it this way but maybe this is assuming the joint orientation is the same as the geometry, and if not the movment of the axis of one is moving the other in another direction?

I tried to remove the espresso and bend deformer for the fingers then weight them to the bones and they still move so this now points to the issue further up, the arm set up.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I analized the wrist and hand joint and tried to reposition them to be straight, but still nothing until I looked at the elbow and saw the issue. The issue was not the wrist or the hands or the fingers, the issue was the elbow itself. When I rotate it in P, the line moves a bit forward instead of staying still, I wonder why.

I'm gonna try to mess a bit with the scale and position and will report back if I did something.

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I finally found a way to fix the issue 98 %.

I had to make the elbow move a bit while it's rotating.

Here's the image with the xpresso and the rotate elbow:

Test.thumb.png.05b7bfc3325c428bf691a62ac99c762d.png

This topic is now solved. Thank God I don't have to redo everything from zero 

Glad you sorted it, it can be hard to diagnose a issue if you havent spotted it early on.   Out of interest what is the idea behind using two global matrix nodes instead of using a constraint,  for instance?

Dan

• Topic Author
  •  

On 1/13/2018 at 6:25 PM, Rectro said:

Out of interest what is the idea behind using two global matrix nodes instead of using a constraint,  for instance?

Dan

Are you talking about the arms that follow that waist? The idea about using the global matrix nodes between waist and arms is that it makes animating a little easier for the animator to work faster instead of moving the waist THEN the arms individually. Only for the waist, the back doesn't need any of that node.

You should try it. Just make sure you have the arms in a group cause if you tie the global matrix from the waist to both of them and not the group they are in, then they will reposition to the place the waist is.

I mostly use aim constraint for the feet and head to make it locked in the P rotation. With this you don't even need to move the feet to make it look like they collide with the ground.

Thanks for the info.  I normaly use constraints and very little use of espresso other than drivers basics like range mapper.  I just wondered what the global matrix does in general.  Only time Iv used it is in the past for Positional pose morphs instructed by someone else.  I do a bit of rigging here n there but am mainly a character modeller.

Thanks, Dan