Rendercore Lab

DeCarlo

Seeking Collaborators for Short Film

DeCarlo    56

Hey, folks!  I'm starting my next short film, "Summer Days," and I am looking for help with a few key components. The items below are areas that I feel would help me the most. If you're interested in helping in another way, let me know (anything off my shoulders is ultimately a good thing). Note: the film is already written and storyboarded.

"Summer Days" is about an imaginative young girl (8-10) who has a fantastic adventure in her back yard. It opens with her being "chased" by her stuffed animal, who "plays" the villain. Her imagination slowly takes over, and by the end she fends off a dragon with a magical sword.  It will be about 6 minutes long.

1. Modeling the girl. See the rough design and a modeled head below. (I decided to go with more of a Tomboy look than the dress shown in the concept art.) UV unwrapping and texturing would also be very helpful.
  2. Background design & modeling.  The entire film takes place in the backyard of a rural Midwestern U.S. home: cornfields, fields of tall grass, small hills, deciduous trees, etc.  I can provide reference images, as needed.
  3. Set design & models: toys and other peripherals in this yard, including yard tools around a shed. Objects should be fairly simple and appropriate for the 1990s.
  4. Hero tree: The film is largely centered around a large deciduous tree (e.g. a maple tree). It needs to be designed to interact with the wind and the dragon, including leaves rustling, branches swaying, and partially lighting on fire. I did a lot of initial work on this a few years ago, so we can chat through various techniques that I explored. Potentially, C4D has developed some new tools that can help since I last looked into it.
  5. Grass: Someone to design the grass of the yard, including patches of wear and overgrowth, designed for significant physical interactions with the characters, as well optimizing for rendering (e.g. separating into sections/layers).

I am almost finished with the animatic, so if you're considering helping out, you'll be able to see how the film plays out in the next week or two. 

Side note: my latest short film, The Encounter, is a 13-minute sci-fi adventure comedy that has just started getting accepted to film festivals in the U.S. My hope is that "Summer Days" will be my last short before I launch a feature animation.

maggieDesign1.jpg

MaggieTest.png

scene2_sm.jpg

Maggie0050edit_sm.jpg

003_sm.jpg

Fastbee    72

Congratulations of finishing your other film.  I remember you talking about it not long ago.  Finishing a short like that is something a lot of people have not done.

For the tree I'd recommend looking into Speedtree.  Their trees are amazing.  If they don't have a tree you like making your own is easy after a few hours of learning the tree making tool.

I just bought Marvelous Designer so I'll help out by doing her little dress if you like.  Let me know when ready.

DeCarlo    56
  • Topic Author
  • @Fastbee  Thanks!  I took a couple months off after a long production, but I'm ready to up my game for the next one!

SpeedTree looks cool, but it looks like you also need to license the software?  I think I've already found a tree model that I'm pretty happy with; I was more concerned about the VFX.  Of course, after my original call-out, I actually went through my old project files and I remembered that I had solved it!  I kept trying different types of dynamics or mograph solutions, and after a number of failures, it finally occurred to go the simple route and simply rig the tree with a few bones and animate the limbs/leaves manually. I'd still use MoGraph to make the individual leaves flutter, but 

I actually nixed her dress to go with a simple sort of androgynous medieval shirt and simple pants, like corduroys. Is that still of interest to you?

Fastbee    72

The speedtree license could be expensive depending on which license is done.

Maybe if I saw a sketch of the cloths and it looked easy to do.  The original dress in the pictures with the shininess and colors looked so cool I though it would have been neat to make and see flowing around.  This is also the problem as that means a lot of cloth physics that would probably also have to be done in Marvelous from an exported character animation, then have the cloth animation reimported into c4d, so I understand why you would not want to do that.  Depending on the animation c4d cloth might be good enough.  It depends on how she moves and what is happening.

DeCarlo    56
  • Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, Fastbee said:

The speedtree license could be expensive depending on which license is done.

Maybe if I saw a sketch of the cloths and it looked easy to do.  The original dress in the pictures with the shininess and colors looked so cool I though it would have been neat to make and see flowing around.  This is also the problem as that means a lot of cloth physics that would probably also have to be done in Marvelous from an exported character animation, then have the cloth animation reimported into c4d, so I understand why you would not want to do that.  Depending on the animation c4d cloth might be good enough.  It depends on how she moves and what is happening.

Keeping everything within C4D would be much preferred; I've not used Cloth in a project before, so that will be a challenge in and of itself.  If you're able to setup the Cloth dynamics, that'd be a huge help, otherwise I'd want to do a few tests before committing to adding it to my workflow.

The first image I posted above (the simple drawing) was my idea for an outfit without cloth dynamics. It's simple and would serve the story fairly well. Below was my attempt at modeling the dress from a few years ago. It looks okay, but I didn't know anything about how to design good topology, so I don't expect it to be usable. And I suck at texturing.

Ideally, the dress would have two variations.  The first would be something this girl would realistically own: simple fabric, maybe some wear. The second variation would be with fancier material and details, essentially her fantasy version of the same dress, which I'd switch to when her imagination starts taking over the story.  If that was easy enough to create side-by-side, especially if it's just switching materials on the same mesh, it could add some beautiful flare to the story.

detail2.png

Fastbee    72

The first image is easy enough to make.  Send me a model with the rough shape of her body when ready.  The body does not need good topology and does not need any textures.  I'll make the cloths from that.  3dcoat could be used to rough the body out and whatever geometry it spit out from the reducer would work for the cloths.

ErickM    16
    On 1/13/2018 at 10:55 AM, DeCarlo said:

Hey, folks!  I'm starting my next short film, "Summer Days," and I am looking for help with a few key components. The items below are areas that I feel would help me the most. If you're interested in helping in another way, let me know (anything off my shoulders is ultimately a good thing). Note: the film is already written and storyboarded.

"Summer Days" is about an imaginative young girl (8-10) who has a fantastic adventure in her back yard. It opens with her being "chased" by her stuffed animal, who "plays" the villain. Her imagination slowly takes over, and by the end she fends off a dragon with a magical sword.  It will be about 6 minutes long.

1. Modeling the girl. See the rough design and a modeled head below. (I decided to go with more of a Tomboy look than the dress shown in the concept art.) UV unwrapping and texturing would also be very helpful.
    2. Background design & modeling.  The entire film takes place in the backyard of a rural Midwestern U.S. home: cornfields, fields of tall grass, small hills, deciduous trees, etc.  I can provide reference images, as needed.
    3. Set design & models: toys and other peripherals in this yard, including yard tools around a shed. Objects should be fairly simple and appropriate for the 1990s.
    4. Hero tree: The film is largely centered around a large deciduous tree (e.g. a maple tree). It needs to be designed to interact with the wind and the dragon, including leaves rustling, branches swaying, and partially lighting on fire. I did a lot of initial work on this a few years ago, so we can chat through various techniques that I explored. Potentially, C4D has developed some new tools that can help since I last looked into it.
    5. Grass: Someone to design the grass of the yard, including patches of wear and overgrowth, designed for significant physical interactions with the characters, as well optimizing for rendering (e.g. separating into sections/layers).

I am almost finished with the animatic, so if you're considering helping out, you'll be able to see how the film plays out in the next week or two. 

Side note: my latest short film, The Encounter, is a 13-minute sci-fi adventure comedy that has just started getting accepted to film festivals in the U.S. My hope is that "Summer Days" will be my last short before I launch a feature animation.

maggieDesign1.jpg

MaggieTest.png

scene2_sm.jpg

Maggie0050edit_sm.jpg

003_sm.jpg

Congrats @DeCarlo for The Encounter, it looks cool and entertaining. Well done work, wish you all the best. 

Btw have you found anyone to work with you? 

DeCarlo    56
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, ErickM said:

Congrats @DeCarlo for The Encounter, it looks cool and entertaining. Well done work, wish you all the best. 

Btw have you found anyone to work with you? 

At this point, I just need help with the background, set design (peripheral models), and the grass. If one of those things interests you, let me know. :)

ErickM    16
    7 hours ago, DeCarlo said:

At this point, I just need help with the background, set design (peripheral models), and the grass. If one of those things interests you, let me know. :)

I can create photorealistic grass, it's one of the first things i learned off C4D. Structures as well, but i think i'd start off with just the grass and take it from there if time allows. What's the scale for this scene? I've never collaborated before, i'm such a noob, if you can share more details with me i'd appreciate it :)

DeCarlo    56
  • Topic Author
  • 11 hours ago, ErickM said:

What's the scale for this scene? I've never collaborated before, i'm such a noob, if you can share more details with me i'd appreciate it :)

Don't worry, this is my first project collaborating as well!  I'm out of town for a few days, so I'll send you a message with some details when I get back next week. The two big grass challenges will be designing overgrowth/undergrowth around objects like a tree and a bench, and figuring out how to optimize the grass for renders. There will be frequent close-ups of characters/objects in the grass with some dynamics to push it around, so we'll probably want to carve up the set into foreground and background grasses. Thanks!

ErickM    16
    On 3/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, ErickM said:

I can create photorealistic grass...

Here's shot i did a few weeks ago for fun, i thought i'd share it with you. 

I can improve this by a lot as well as scale it to fit for any scene. 

I should also mention, i can have it be affected by wind and things like that.

Enough of that, have a look...

House_Daytime:Landscape_2.png