lutfirren

Constrain to animated/deformed vertex

lutfirren    4

Hi,

I am trying to constrain an object to the hand of a rigged, animated character. I can't constrain the object to the joint itself, because I have a rather messy setup where my rig is constrained to a source (mocap) rig and then offsetted.

I tried to make a small xpresso setup where the object is constrained to the vertex via the point node. This works - but only constrains the object to the original position of the character in T-pose. Any ideas on how I can make the object follow the movements of this specific vertex?

I don't have much experience with xpresso...

Thanks!
Zara

ABMotion    170

The only way to do this and keep the character rigged/jointed is to use a Constraint tag using PSR and dropping a Joint from the hand of the character to the Target. You can then offset the object as needed. If your rig is messy as you say, you just need something relative to that hand position that follows the movement and then offset it to the correct position. Make sure the object is not in the hierarchy of the Character.

• Like 1
  • Namaste 1

maliohammad    281
13 hours ago, lutfirren said:

I tried to make a small xpresso setup where the object is constrained to the vertex via the point node. This works - but only constrains the object to the original position of the character in T-pose. Any ideas on how I can make the object follow the movements of this specific vertex?

Hello, 

Try to use the constraint tag with parent mode, which allow you to position it manually for the initial look then it will still follow the position of the original object.

lutfirren    4
  • Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, ABMotion said:

The only way to do this and keep the character rigged/jointed is to use a Constraint tag using PSR and dropping a Joint from the hand of the character to the Target. You can then offset the object as needed. If your rig is messy as you say, you just need something relative to that hand position that follows the movement and then offset it to the correct position. Make sure the object is not in the hierarchy of the Character.

Thank you for your reply!

I tried it, and something strange seems to be happening - when i scrub through the timeline, my object is static, but when i play and then press pause, it jumps to the correct position - but only when it is paused. whilst its playing, the object stays its original position... Also when rendered

maliohammad    281
    4 hours ago, lutfirren said:

I tried it, and something strange seems to be happening - when i scrub through the timeline, my object is static, but when i play and then press pause, it jumps to the correct position - but only when it is paused. whilst its playing, the object stays its original position... Also when rendered

Just tried it out with one of the characters in the content browser, and to fix it I had to do the following:

Go to the constraint tag, "basic" tab and increase the priority to something like 20 and it will follow the animation correctly.

Hope this do the trick for you too.

ABMotion    170

It will depend on how you've set up your character and so you may have specific issues to your scene/character, but the problem you're describing is usually to do with priorities.

The order all the parts of your character are in from top to bottom in the Objects Manager is important because it dictates the order in which things are calculated by Cinema 4D. If you get them in the wrong order, for instance, the position of the hand might be calculated after the object, so the object doesn't know where it needs to be. In basic terms, the order should be as follows:

1. Character Rig
    2. Character Controllers
    3. Character Joints
    4. Object/s with Constraint Tag

If you still have issues, you can then try doing as @maliohammad has suggested and change the priority on the tag/s.

If there are specific things you've done with Xpresso or other parts to your scene, it is difficult to help without a scene file, but these two suggestions above should hopefully get you where you need to be.

Voytech    45

To tell C4D to follow deformed mesh ( joints are deformers) you need to tick Use Deformed Points option in your Point node,

and speaking of priority..if all tricks mentioned in previous posts fail try to change it's mode to Generators..

Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/buyd00zybx1kcd9/Snap_23h19m39s_001_.wmv?dl=0