Sign in to follow this  
Cynni

Adding bones to character object

Hi,

I'm currently trying to rig my character. I'm fairly new to C4D and I have some problems.

It's a bunny I try to rig with the character object and the alan rig template. The rig has no bones for arms and ears so I want to add them but I don't really know how to.

I made joints with the joint tool and added them to the existing hierarchy and then I added the mesh to the binding tab. But the arms and ears are not affected by the joints I made. Also when I try to weight the character and subtract some of the color it just adds it. 

A little bit stressing now, it's for a school project and I'm not making any progress.

If someone could help me. Would be much appreciated!

--Cynthia

Bunny1.c4d

I had a look at your setup, you need to make sure that all the new joints are added to the weight tag and paint the weights to the new joints. The other problem you have is that the ears mesh doesn't have enough loops to allow for the joints to bend the ears. Also, the bunny mesh wasn't at world zero.

i also noticed that the head has five joints you only need one neck and one head joint unless you intending to bend the head .

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, digitvisions said:

I had a look at your setup, you need to make sure that all the new joints are added to the weight tag and paint the weights to the new joints. The other problem you have is that the ears mesh doesn't have enough loops to allow for the joints to bend the ears. Also, the bunny mesh wasn't at world zero.

i also noticed that the head has five joints you only need one neck and one head joint unless you intending to bend the head .

Thank you for answering.

Didn't know this at all. I made the rig with the character object so I thought it was ok that way. 
    The bunny is now at world zero, added the joints to the weight tag, but the problem is when I try to pain the weights, I can't seem to paint anything or suddenly everything is painted also when I try to remove painted weight (subtract) it adds more instead of removing it. Hope you understand me. Also if you add the joints to the weight tag should the mesh already move or only when I painted the weights?

No the mesh will not move with the joints unless its weighted. i will post here a file later on for you to compare and study, make sure you don't use it as your final project. ;)

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

No the mesh will not move with the joints unless its weighted. i will post here a file later on for you to compare and study, make sure you don't use it as your final project. ;)

Thank you and I won't :)

• Topic Author
  • 42 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

here you go : 

Bunny1(NEW RIG BIND).c4d

Thank you, this really helped me! 

Great, you welcome.