Cinema 4D Plugins

GSwartz

Studio MSA Price Increase

GSwartz    4

Just got the email from MAXON that the MSA for studio is going up from $650 to $725.  With continually talking about the core rewrite as a reason we haven't had a bodypaint update (among many other requested feature updates) and trying to keep everyone on board, this is not a good move.  It's hard enough to convince my boss to shell out for the maintenance each year but now to at least get one more year at $650 it looks like I have to pay that up front by March 1st.  Not sure I'll be upgrading.

"We have been notified by MAXON headquarters that pricing of the annual maintenance for Cinema 4D will increase effective March 1, 2018. This is the first price increase since the introduction of MSA in the Fall of 2008; nearly a decade ago.  Current price - $650  New price $725"

Cerbera    1,511

Oh - I haven't had that email yet, but I assume it's coming - they can't put it up just in the States, can they ?

If the percentages are the same (111%) that'll bump the UK studio MSA to just over £600, goddammit ! Still, fair play; it hasn't gone up for as long as I've been MSA-ing, and it still pays for itself in 1 or 2 jobs if you use it for work, so I'm not too distraught about it. Until I remember that they still haven't fixed OpenSubDiv and UV mapping in well over a year, and then I resent them every single additional pound until that's fixed :)

CBR

GSwartz    4
  • Topic Author
  • The email didn't say anything about it only being in the states however it did mention that the other versions would not increase in the americas.  Also it mentioned that they had just received the news from MAXON headquarters, so I'm assuming the email was sent from N. America's MAXON office.

arail    24

The email says the MSA hasn't been increased since the year it began - 2008. And in the Americas this will only affect the Studio version.

3DKiwi    335

Sort of signals that R20 is going to be a big release. And because it's going to be big they assume they can get away with a price increase as you'll all be blown away with the improvements. Modo that I use costs US $399 per year for its equivalent maintenance system so neither are cheap.

Fun times ahead.

3D-Pangel    204

So there is no confusion....here is the browser link to the email

On the plus side: they are allowing to purchase another year at the current price if placed before 3/1/18.

On the negative side:  There have been some well-founded arguments that the annual updates add or improve capability of the Prime, Broadcast, and Visualize versions more so than what would be unique to Studio.   Yet the Studio owners pay a premium.  Had this price increase been to all versions, then I would have no issue as it has been 10 years with fixed pricing.  But it is ONLY to Studio owners which further deepens the wound that we are paying a premium with the least amount of change to "uniquely" Studio features with each version.  Maybe R20 and beyond will change all this...who knows but I am not banking on that.  

What am I going to do?  

Simple....upgrade prior to 3/1/18 even though my MSA expires on 8/31/18.  Now, if things stay the way they have been in the next release (fewer new or improved features for Studio owners), then I may stop participating in the MSA program and just update every two years.  Not sure about that, but the higher MSA costs for Studio tend to push me in that direction (provided they keep their upgrade costs the same).  I do enjoy Cineversity and the CV tools though.

I honestly wish MAXON just increased the cost of all MSA licenses.  Just increasing the cost to Studio owners angers me (to be frank) and tarnishes what was once a positive perception that MAXON was a very fair company.  I can tell that MAXON USA is not in favor of this, otherwise why pin this on MAXON corporate in their email.  So my disgust is purely with corporate MAXON and not the fine folks at MAXON-USA who are caught in the middle.

Dave

I would be interested to know what is going on in other regions outside the USA.

Fastbee    63

If I was them I'd keep it down for one more year so people would be more likely to get the new version and love what they get.  After that they could raise it the year after and keep those satisfied customers which felt cheated for the past few years.  It's almost like they don't know there is a free alternative called Blender that comes with a great render engine called Cycles.

3D-Pangel    204
    1 minute ago, Fastbee said:

If I was them I'd keep it down for one more year so people would be more likely to get the new version and love what they get.  After that they could raise it the year after and keep those satisfied customers which felt cheated for the past few years.  It's almost like they don't know there is a free alternative called Blender that comes with a great render engine called Cycles.

Agreed.  Studio owners have been getting the short end of the stick for years now.  Now if Nigel predictions are true (which they usually are), they raise prices on us when R20 finally has some great new features that are purely unique to Studio.  They finally deliver and then ask us to pay more when we have been paying way more than everyone else and getting pretty much an equivalent set of features for years now.  I know it is not that black and white, but you get the point.  

The only saving grace for me (given my MSA due date and their rather predictable release cycle), is that I will get R20 with my current MSA that expires on 8/31 and R21 at $650 if I renew before 3/1/18.  So thank you to MAXON for allowing that because it does allow me to fall in love with the new features prior to facing a price increase to $725.  

But for some reason, I just don't think $725 pricing will stay fixed for another 10 years.  I think prices will continue to rise.  Overall, how they handled this could have been better.  Trust has been lost.

Dave

Fastbee    63
    58 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

The only saving grace for me (given my MSA due date and their rather predictable release cycle), is that I will get R20 with my current MSA that expires on 8/31 and R21 at $650 if I renew before 3/1/18.  So thank you to MAXON for allowing that because it does allow me to fall in love with the new features prior to facing a price increase to $725. 

I thought everyones MSA expired 8/31? Are you sure of this?

I was thinking they would release R20 in early September or people who paid for MSA last year would get R19 and R20 for the price of one MSA.  It would be great, but I don't think they would make a big mistake like this.

RBarrett    87

The price for all MSA editions (including the cost to distributors like MAXON US) is increasing worldwide. In the US, we were able to limit the change to just the Studio edition. I'm sure news for other regions will come from distributors soon - it was announced in Germany last week.

Everyone's MSA expires at different times, and there's no guarantee of release dates until announced by MAXON. But historically you'd need an active MSA in September to receive the upgrade, and if your renewal date is in August you already received R19 as part of your current contract.

• Like 1

3D-Pangel    204
    1 hour ago, RBarrett said:

The price for all MSA editions (including the cost to distributors like MAXON US) is increasing worldwide. In the US, we were able to limit the change to just the Studio edition. I'm sure news for other regions will come from distributors soon - it was announced in Germany last week.

Ahhh....trust has been restored because all versions are increasing in price and Studio owners are not being singled out.  I don't begrudge MAXON raising prices once in 10 years but no one likes to be singled out for a price increase. Now that I know it is all versions, I am actually okay with it (funny how that works)....and my esteem for the MAXON USA team has also increased due to their ability to hold back a price increase for the non-Studio versions.  

Dave

P.S. If I was a non-Studio owner right now, I would seriously think about upgrading to Studio  (if the MSA prices are increasing, the upgrade prices are sure to follow though I am not sure if that will happen as well on 3/1).  Pretty clear that R20 is going to favor the Studio feature set quite heavily...otherwise how could MAXON USA win the argument to NOT increase pricing for the other versions.  Pure speculation on my part and I don't want to step on what Rick shared (for which I am grateful), but still something to consider.

nerv    315

I just saw the email.  I mean, even if it stings a little, $75 is not a huge price hike in comparison to the total cost of the software, so I'm ok with waiting until I'm closer to my expiration date in July before I commit to renew.