Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

GSwartz

Studio MSA Price Increase

sbtread    0
4 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

Sort of signals that R20 is going to be a big release. And because it's going to be big they assume they can get away with a price increase as you'll all be blown away with the improvements. Modo that I use costs US $399 per year for its equivalent maintenance system so neither are cheap.

Fun times ahead.

I'm not saying I think this is the case here but I've seen something similar to this happen with other software I use just a few months before that company announced they were bought out...a last effort to superficially increase the value of the company before documents were signed. ;)

nicks    17

Although I don't think you can blame a company for raising its prices once in 10 years, it would still be nice to know what we might be paying for...

I really don't want to sound negative, but every year we seem to go through the "the next release is going to be the big one" and "looks like we're finally going to get that Bodypaint and UV mapping overhaul we've all been waiting for" discussions. I let my MSA lapse this year, as there were no 'must haves' for me personally in R19. I might be tempted to renew it ahead of the R20 release if I knew exactly what was coming...

hvanderwegen    55
11 hours ago, Fastbee said:

If I was them I'd keep it down for one more year so people would be more likely to get the new version and love what they get.  After that they could raise it the year after and keep those satisfied customers which felt cheated for the past few years.  It's almost like they don't know there is a free alternative called Blender that comes with a great render engine called Cycles.

Agreed. While v20 might be "the Holy Grail", MAXON ought to remind itself that Blender V2.8 is just around the corner, and I have to say that Eevee is looking mightily nice.

I did a quick test:

falcon_eevee2.thumb.jpg.243d5f23e89ff1a16c8ddaf0d572b8d9.jpgfalcon_cycles_3-58.thumb.jpg.f7250c9bb57a41a5937e2aef58d0ba41.jpg

Guess: which is the 3 minutes Cycles render, and which is the 6 seconds Eevee OpenGL render? (PS I did scale these down by 50%)

Good times ahead indeed. The Eevee version is real-time in the viewport, btw.

Also of interest: the latest 2.79 builds of Blender silently introduced combined simultaneous GPU and CPU rendering! With a modern high-end CPU render times are 40% quicker to finish. Even my old i7 920 shaved off 4 minutes of a 17 minutes scene of mine. Game changer.

And all for free. It felt like a late Christmas present. :-)

Strangely enough, no trumpets announcing this - if this were MAXON, they would wait for v21 and proclaim GPU+CPU rendering to be the next revolution in their marketing. And increase the MSA ;-P

Visionnext    83

My MSA was renewed in January at the current price, so I will have enough time to look at the improvements of R20. As I am doing a lot of characters lately, I'm curious about the things that MAXON will provide. The alternatives are not cheaper though (Modo, Maya,...) and I really like Cinema 4D.

Let's see...

Rectro    703

£626 instead of £540 bad timing for me.  Of course its expected that with such a expensive app one should be making money so it should pay for itself, but at the end of the day you expect to be getting more in return, that puts higher expectations on r20 for sure.  Before long the hobbyist will be pushed out altogether, things are just getting too expensive, and with the way its all heading it will end up everyone will be renting their software simply because your be forced to as the cheaper option.  Im still on board with MAXON only because their competitors are taking bigger liberties, and that includes The Foundry with with their scheming methods to burn the pockets of their customers for so little in return, then add 50% penalty for every year a maintenance is missed. 

R20 is my pit stop, and I expect to see something significant for my money otherwise Im out the race, more so now my circumstances have changed drastically.  For the character artist of course Maya is the way to go but too expensive to keep that up long term, so C4D is the next best thing, but I need to see MAXON giving Maya a bit of competition in the near future in these areas, and more so in areas that should already be on par with MODO Modelling.

Dan

• Like 1

hvanderwegen    55
8 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Before long the hobbyist will be pushed out altogether, things are just getting too expensive, and with the way its all heading it will end up everyone will be renting their software simply because your be forced to as the cheaper option.

Dan

Lucky for us then that the open source alternatives have become true competitive options. And commercial alternatives offering low priced perpetual licenses are always available as well.

Rectro    703
1 minute ago, hvanderwegen said:

Lucky for us then that the open source alternatives have become true competitive options. And commercial alternatives offering low priced perpetual licenses are always available as well.

Yes the open source competitors are certainly gaining momentum, and Im happy to see this, even Natron the alternative to Nuke is holding up for me quite well.  Im not aware of any commercial alternatives offering low priced perpetual licences however, not in the full scope of what only 3ds Max, Maya, or C4D can do, MODO is a way off from a full featured 3D alternitive?

Dan

Fastbee    83
10 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

falcon_eevee2.thumb.jpg.243d5f23e89ff1a16c8ddaf0d572b8d9.jpgfalcon_cycles_3-58.thumb.jpg.f7250c9bb57a41a5937e2aef58d0ba41.jpg

Guess: which is the 3 minutes Cycles render, and which is the 6 seconds Eevee OpenGL render? (PS I did scale these down by 50%)

The right one is the Cycles render because the shadows are way nicer.  Other than the shadows it would be hard to tell.  Eevee is super impressive.

Sreckom    16

Hmmm for me here it would probably be 1000EUR ... MODO permanent license is 1600 EUR. I hate resellers business :D

Simmy    63
21 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Oh - I haven't had that email yet, but I assume it's coming - they can't put it up just in the States, can they ?

If the percentages are the same (111%) that'll bump the UK studio MSA to just over £600, goddammit ! Still, fair play; it hasn't gone up for as long as I've been MSA-ing, and it still pays for itself in 1 or 2 jobs if you use it for work, so I'm not too distraught about it. Until I remember that they still haven't fixed OpenSubDiv and UV mapping in well over a year, and then I resent them every single additional pound until that's fixed :)

CBR

I could have sworn we had a price increase in the UK about 2 years back because of the slump in the pound? 

Ah well. It's their product so up to them. I am holding out for R20 so do I put it up now or still do the usual and await the announcement.

Rectro    703
1 hour ago, Simmy said:

I could have sworn we had a price increase in the UK about 2 years back because of the slump in the pound? 

Ah well. It's their product so up to them. I am holding out for R20 so do I put it up now or still do the usual and await the announcement.

Yea it may have done back then also but it has gone up since r19.  My last invoice was £540.  If I add the MSA now its at £564

Dan

Simmy    63
9 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Yea it may have done back then also but it has gone up since r19.  My last invoice was £540.  If I add the MSA now its at £564

Dan

So it has.....I hope there isn't another increase in march then or its out pacing my wage rise by quite some margin