Sign in to follow this  
morpheus

UV Snapping to Texture Edge

Anyone know if it's possible to snap UV polys to the edge of the texture area in order to get it perfectly aligned to the edge of the texture when in UV edit mode? 

Cheers

The only tool that does that is the Snapping panel in the Attributes window. You may have to click on Mode and choose Tool with the Move tool in the top icons selected. You can choose Edge or Point and have Quantizing in there as well for moving, scaling and rotating in incremental %.

BP_UV_Snap.thumb.png.f0693e1aaf16b0a1411b04e5158696a8.png

Also there is the Transform tab of UV edit, which can move UV points to precise positions anywhere on the UV canvas, useful if you want to type in specific pixel distances. The move section of this works weirdly in that you have to divide the amount of pixels you wish to move by the total pixels in that direction of the UV map, but that's not the case if you are moving them to the edge of the UV canvas because the input will be either 0 or 1. Another helpful function here is the scale commands which perfectly align points in straight lines whilst moving them, and I find that works more predictably than the Line up points command, or trying to work out what is snapping where...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ah Brill. Thank you both. 

Transform tab is perfect CBR, that's what I need.

Cheers

A

• Topic Author
  • Hmmmmm....the move tool is great now that I understand it, but I'm still struggling to be able to actually set a UV point to be on the edge of the canvas before I even start to use the move tool. Theres no co-ordinates I can see for the uv point when it's selected. 

Do I need to maybe look into doing my UV editing in another program. I know a lot of people use something else, just trying to remember what it's called...

21 minutes ago, morpheus said:

but I'm still struggling to be able to actually set a UV point to be on the edge of the canvas before I even start to use the move tool.

If you're going to use transform then why do you need to align them before doing that ? Just get them roughly in the right place then select the points you want on the edge and Transform them exactly there.

23 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Theres no co-ordinates I can see for the uv point when it's selected. 

Yeah that is annoying, but again, easily circumvented with Transform. As I mentioned before, canvas edges are particularly easy to align to using that because the answer will be a 1 or a 0 in either the U or V boxes. 

27 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Do I need to maybe look into doing my UV editing in another program. I know a lot of people use something else, just trying to remember what it's called...

I don't feel the need to go elsewhere, as I know BP UV well enough to just make it do what I want it to. But if you'd rather look elsewhere, then Unfold 3D is certainly one of the better options, I hear... but I'd search the cafe for all the other recommendations - this is an oft-discussed topic :)

CBR

In R19 there is a way to enter UV coordinates for points. Don't know which shortcut or command to bring up the coordinate dialog, please check the documentation for that.

15 minutes ago, C4DS said:

In R19 there is a way to enter UV coordinates for points. Don't know which shortcut or command to bring up the coordinate dialog, please check the documentation for that.

I can't find any reference for that in the manual or in the interface ! Any clue where it might be anyone ?

CBR

On 1/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, Cerbera said:

I can't find any reference for that in the manual or in the interface ! Any clue where it might be anyone ?

CBR

I thought having seen it somewhere, but just couldn't remember how to access the tool. But I remember seeing a screenshot showing a Windows 10 dialog box.

Finally found it back, and it is actually in the help file.

Here is how to access the dialog:

Select the move tool, then in the UV editor (point mode) double click an UV point ...

In the help documentation search for "UV tools", then select the "Move" sub-item.

Ha ! Well who'd have thought ?! :) Certainly not me ! Thanks for the info there, C4DS.

CBR

I was working on a related feature in my Seamilar plugin. When I found out this coordinate editing was available in R19 I moved that feature to a lower priority (since note really urgent anymore). Eventually I will provide this related feature in a future update.

Note that in previous versions of Cinema you could already edit the UV coordinates. But needed to do so via the structure manager ... not very intuitive, but doable.