jukyan

Timeline, how to know which curve it is

Hi,

im not new to C4D but im banging my head on a stupid thing : 

I need to manipulate many keys of many tracks/parameters in the timeline (with auto mode & link to OM)

but when I select  a key on a curve in the timeline, it doesn't highlight the corresponding track in the object list, so I just have no idea the key of which track / parameter i'm manipulating unless i know it already by first selecting the track in the list on the left side.

It is really annoying when i have a lot of adjustment to make.

Even when i double click on a key there is nowhere any info of which track is this damn key from...

How can that be ? What am i missing ??

I've attached a screen grab with the setting I use. 

Do you have "Automatic Mode" enabled? Also if you select objects from the panel from the left, they should select the correct curve in the timeline.

Hope this helps.

Timeline-Object-Selection.jpg

You're asking for help and we don't even know which version you are in. Please complete your profile !

@southpaw I think he wants that to work the other way around where you select a point, and it highlights the object that curve belongs to, which i didn't think was possible.

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Exactly. I need it the other way around.

I'm in automatic mode already (said so).

Its ridiculous i can't believe there is no way to know to which track belongs a key when we select it from the timeline ! O_o

You can do it from opposite side. Select all parameters (dope sheet) of objects which you want to edit and switch to f-curve mode...

(be sure you´ve disabled Show All Tracks option)

1.thumb.png.09339a513d5214f881e04b39ab760257.png2.thumb.png.5a5b6cd55b92da34c33b005543da5655.png3.thumb.png.55e1aa3e1ced7dd6ec3fc43fbcafe9d1.png

• Topic Author
  • Again, its the opposite thing i need : 

when i select a key, i want it to indicate me from which track it belongs to. Whatever how.

Apparently it doesn't exist.

The only option I see is to color-code your tracks by assigning different-colored layers to each. In Preferences > Timeline > Timline-DopeSheet, it has an option for "Layer Colors." This will paint your f-curves the color of the track's assigned layer. That means you can immediately see which curve goes with which track.  Of course, whether that's feasible to set up depends entirely on the number of tracks you're working with.

trackColor.jpg

Option 2:  Select the key you want to change. Switch to Dope Sheet. Immediately switch back to F-Curve mode. The track the key belongs to is now highlighted.  If you set up shortcut keys to bounce back and forth between modes, that might be only moderately irritating.  Note: it appears that you must unselect the track before you can do it with a new key, otherwise the old and new tracks both become selected.