zeljans

UV (Texel) Normalizer

Hi,

I was wondering if there a script/plugin that can normalize/equalise UV size (texels) base on the object size across all selected objects in the scene. There is an option in Maya 2018 for that and 3DS Max has some similar scripts (like UV Normalizer 2.0 or TexTools).

If there is not such a script, how hard would it be for someone to write one in python? 

Thanks.

@zeljans

Hi zeljans. It is not aptly name but the Optional Mapping>Reallign button from the UV Layout function as the same thing. 

Also, what option is that in Maya 2018. I'm using Maya right now at a studio and I can't seem to find it. Are you referring to the Unfold command by any chance?

• Topic Author
  •  Realign with option -Equilize island size- is just for the selected objects UV islands. I need to have same proportional to object UV size across all object in the scene and in the other scenes maintaining same ratio

Maya 2018.png

Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

At about 2:10 in this video is shown how to equalize UV islands for multi objects

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Very good C4DS, I didn't know for that plugin of yours. 

But that not exactly what I would want to do.

This can be as a suggestion that you can implement and help people like me that must prepare UVs on multiple objects in multiple scenes(projects) that come together for Lightmap backing in some game engines like Unity or Unreal.

When you have done unwrapping UVs and created in that process a UV charts (multiple for one object) the best thing for me is that place for that UVs stay as I setup them. They should scale, not move. That means that objects UVs will scale proportional to their size for the set map size (i.e. 512). Later in another file (project) you can set the same UV proportion to that scene objects. You can put that input field it under Spacing and above Realine button.

10 hours ago, zeljans said:

When you have done unwrapping UVs and created in that process a UV charts (multiple for one object) the best thing for me is that place for that UVs stay as I setup them. They should scale, not move. That means that objects UVs will scale proportional to their size for the set map size (i.e. 512). Later in another file (project) you can set the same UV proportion to that scene objects.

I still have a hard time visualizing in my mind what you're trying to achieve.

I understand you're looking to equalize the UV polygons in order for the mesh polygons to take up the same amount of texture space, resulting in said equal texel density. Your object UVs will then need to be scaled in order to achieve this, but you'll also want to move them in order to let all the UVs of the multiple objects map/pack onto the UV canvas (0..1). Or would you only want to scale the UV islands at their current bounding box center (and waste space between them as they shrink, or overlap as they grow)?

I think I get the picture of what you're trying to achieve, but I am left with more questions than answers.

• Topic Author
  • The tool needs to scale UV Shells of selected objects to match the specified Texel Density.

Already packed or arranged groups of UV Shells and set the average Texel Density without modifying the layout.

• Topic Author
  • ps.

If someone can write this script in python, please contact me.