VECTOR

Vec's & Cerbera's Star Wars Sketchbook

14 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

That's a nice model there Dave, funnily enough i actually liked the prequels, for all their flaws there was a lot of fun parts, the saber combat sequences especially, obi vs anakin in episode 3 was especially epic, of course duel of fates, the area on geonosis from episode 2, yoda vs sidious, yoda vs dooku etc, i think lucas did a good job of illustrating what the jedi where like in their prime, with the fineness of lightsaber combat, different styles etc. Pretty disappointed with the latest 2 efforts, and the ending of the last jedi made me want to smash my face through my glass desk, shame really, still a lot of fond memories, atleast we got to see darth vader in all his murderous glory at the end of rogue one, that was a fine starwars movie btw, this looks cool , and it's in london, well it was

On the modelling front i think it's time for a new hard surface model but not sure what.    

Oh...I thoroughly enjoyed the prequel trilogies.  Yes, there were a few moments where I winced a bit, but overall I love the story, the action, the fight scenes, etc.  And yes,  Rogue One was a shining star in what has been an otherwise very disappointing set of Star Wars movies from Disney....but remember, they had to reshoot 40% of that movie.  So Rogue One could have gone off the rails as well.

The only good thing I can say about The Last Jedi was that I did not waste my money on it in the movie theaters (thank you Audience ratings in Rotten Tomatoes).  The first Star Wars movie to come out that I did not see in a theater but watched at home via Netflix (also the first Star Wars movie not to make the cover of Cinefex...so what does that tell you!).  I will say that as that movie played out, I just got more depressed because it was sooo stupid.  I mean everything was bad about it.  The dialogue, the characters, the plot...all of it was bad.  Well no...that is not true.  John William's music was very good.   I felt a bit similar when I saw The Force Awakens but felt that there was a lot they were not telling us to be revealed in later episodes that would help explain that movie a bit better.  Well....after The Last Jedi just basically trashed that story line as well, you are left with two movies that are just plain duds.  I have no confidence in Disney's ability to handle this franchise.  Netflix for me from now on with their movies.

Relative to modeling, I will have to say that Star Wars models are a lot more intricate than Star Trek models.  With Trek, you do deal with very complex shapes and curves.  With Star Wars, you are dealing with vast amounts of hull plating, nernies, etc that all must be modeled.  Each are difficult and each has its own challenges.  Personally, I don't think I have the mental stamina to stick with a Star Wars model.  Just look at the details Vector put into his TIE fighter.  I would have gotten as far as the cock-pit and died of mental exhaustion let alone survive all the detail he put into the wings.  Really amazing stuff.

Dave

• Like 1

I did not mind the prequels and if you think about it the originals had their wincing moments too.  Jar Jar, that bumbling nincompoop was annoying as hell  but if you step back, he was the cause of Palpatine's ascendance to emperor by nominating him for chancellor. then the child Anakin, - cherub faced, always giving, thinking of others completely selfless grows up to be Darth Vader.  I found them fun and different.

the last jedi was ok but I hated Finn's character, he was completely useless.  

Kylo, come on - he force froze a blaster bolt for like 5 minutes but got his ass kicked by a janitor with zero light saber training SMH.  Kylo could have and should have force froze Finn then sliced and diced him when those two fought.

haven't heard good things about Solo

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Oh...I thoroughly enjoyed the prequel trilogies.  Yes, there were a few moments where I winced a bit, but overall I love the story, the action, the fight scenes, etc.  And yes,  Rogue One was a shining star in what has been an otherwise very disappointing set of Star Wars movies from Disney....but remember, they had to reshoot 40% of that movie.  So Rogue One could have gone off the rails as well.

The only good thing I can say about The Last Jedi was that I did not waste my money on it in the movie theaters (thank you Audience ratings in Rotten Tomatoes).  The first Star Wars movie to come out that I did not see in a theater but watched at home via Netflix (also the first Star Wars movie not to make the cover of Cinefex...so what does that tell you!).  I will say that as that movie played out, I just got more depressed because it was sooo stupid.  I mean everything was bad about it.  The dialogue, the characters, the plot...all of it was bad.  Well no...that is not true.  John William's music was very good.   I felt a bit similar when I saw The Force Awakens but felt that there was a lot they were not telling us to be revealed in later episodes that would help explain that movie a bit better.  Well....after The Last Jedi just basically trashed that story line as well, you are left with two movies that are just plain duds.  I have no confidence in Disney's ability to handle this franchise.  Netflix for me from now on with their movies.

Relative to modeling, I will have to say that Star Wars models are a lot more intricate than Star Trek models.  With Trek, you do deal with very complex shapes and curves.  With Star Wars, you are dealing with vast amounts of hull plating, nernies, etc that all must be modeled.  Each are difficult and each has its own challenges.  Personally, I don't think I have the mental stamina to stick with a Star Wars model.  Just look at the details Vector put into his TIE fighter.  I would have gotten as far as the cock-pit and died of mental exhaustion let alone survive all the detail he put into the wings.  Really amazing stuff.

Dave

Yea I wasn't sure if it was stuff we had to wait to find out or just massive plot holes, they didn't bother to fully explain, they build snoke up to be the big bad then just snuff him out...Luke should have been there at the end showing them who's boss. It would have been infinitely more badass if luke was actually there taking those blaster shots like nothing or if he had just crushed all those walkers into tin cans effortlessly, instead we got him floating on a rock...I'd personally prefer a remake of the prequels with the   taken out and upto date visual effects, if only to see all those cool light saber battles again :D 

As for the model yea , I had to take little breaks here and there, put the whole thing together over the space of a month, doing bits and bobs here and there. The only saving grace is I essentially only had to model half of it, although admittedly the wings took near god level patience, once you start doing those you realise how many little details and greebly bits there are on there on top of the fact I was trying to redesign a majority of it to my own liking at the same time.

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I did not mind the prequels and if you think about it the originals had their wincing moments too.  Jar Jar, that bumbling nincompoop was annoying as hell  but if you step back, he was the cause of Palpatine's ascendance to emperor by nominating him for chancellor. then the child Anakin, - cherub faced, always giving, thinking of others completely selfless grows up to be Darth Vader.  I found them fun and different.

the last jedi was ok but I hated Finn's character, he was completely useless.  

Kylo, come on - he force froze a blaster bolt for like 5 minutes but got his ass kicked by a janitor with zero light saber training SMH.  Kylo could have and should have force froze Finn then sliced and diced him when those two fought.

haven't heard good things about Solo

Also the bit with Leia getting blow out the ship, surviving unpretected exposure to space and then just floating her self back in again just did it for me, also po's character was equally as stupid as Finn, why not just tell him about the plan to begin with Instead of letting him try and take control of the ship, and kylo to me just comes off as an angry depressed goth kid who likes to take his anger out on electrical control panels. I just don't know what Disney are doing , I like what they're doing with the marvel side of things, but I think that's mainly due to the guy they have in charge actually knowing what he's doing  but this.. star trek doesn't seem to be faring much better either with discovery .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Also the bit with Leia getting blow out the ship, surviving unpretected exposure to space and then just floating her self back in again just did it for me,

Do you mean Carrie Poppins?

Capture.thumb.JPG.0bdb17810aee21ca886ea2dd24893e7b.JPG

also po's character was equally as stupid as Finn, why not just tell him about the plan to begin with Instead of letting him try and take control of the ship, and kylo to me just comes off as an angry depressed goth kid who likes to take his anger out on electrical control panels. I just don't know what Disney are doing , I like what they're doing with the marvel side of things, but I think that's mainly due to the guy they have in charge actually knowing what he's doing  but this.. star trek doesn't seem to be faring much better either with discovery .

If you want to listen to some pretty angry fans, simply go to YouTube and search on "Everything wrong with The Last Jedi".  There is a huge list of videos - some funny, many of them vulgar.  But they are all very angry....almost scary actually.

They want Kathleen Kennedy (recommended by George Lucas to head Lucasfilm after it was sold to Disney) fired and they demonize her completely.  It is all her fault!!  No one else is to blame.  I think she even tried to dismiss their opinions with some comments like "the opinions of fat boys who live in their mother's basement is not important".  That didn't help.  They also have clips of Mark Hamill complaining about The Last Jedi as well...which is pretty interesting. 

But some of the terms they come up with, like Carrie Poppins, are pretty funny.  No one is spared from their wrath either.  Even The Force Awakens director, JJ Abrams (whose movies I like), gets skewered.  They call him Jar-Jar Abrams.

Honestly, there is a whole sub-culture building up around hating this movie and what has happened to the Star Wars brand.  There are also some interesting reasons given as to why Disney is abandoning what the fans want.  I won't get into it because it does get into social engineering which can be a hot button for people.  Just go to YouTube and decide for yourself.

Dave

• Haha 1

WOW Dave I did that search and man some of those people really are off kilter

• Topic Author
  • Worth mentioning that the interceptor model is now available for a free download, there's a lounge thread but i also thought i'd post it here incase anyone misses is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0geu0e4mioodfu3/Interceptor Vector Edition.c4d?dl=0

• Like 1

Just saw the @VECTOR but the link is DEAD (like my love for the last movie). Can I have that again? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of Star Wars stuff-have you guys come across the podcast of them talking about Old Ben Kenobi being a racist old coot? And that the Sand People are not just shooting randomly at the pod racers-but trying to get them off their land because the races are destroying the fragile environment? Pretty funny

https://kottke.org/17/12/the-peoples-history-of-tattooine

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, Monstrphil said:

Just saw the @VECTOR but the link is DEAD (like my love for the last movie). Can I have that again? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lmao , sure man no problem , I'm just out at the moment when i get back home I'll send you a link, be warned it's a heavey mesh with sub D on, 11 million polys heavey haha.

• Topic Author
  • 11 hours ago, Monstrphil said:

Speaking of Star Wars stuff-have you guys come across the podcast of them talking about Old Ben Kenobi being a racist old coot? And that the Sand People are not just shooting randomly at the pod racers-but trying to get them off their land because the races are destroying the fragile environment? Pretty funny

https://kottke.org/17/12/the-peoples-history-of-tattooine

These people realise it's not real right?