C4D.thumb.png.ab22402c73b047639e21b95a78dbca04.pngI'm trying to do some texturing in substance painter for test i just modeled a rough 3d geometry in c4d than import into substance as FBX and OBJ.

Now I'm facing this weird issue(Attachment). I know I'm doing something wrong here but what I'm doing wrong i don't know.

(As you can see in the 1st Attachment model has really weird UV coordinates and in the 2nd Attachment UV coordinates are available but texture is not showing.This is the same texture that i applied to OBJ)

Will i have to do UV texturing process for a simple model before importing into substance..??

I export both fbx and obj formats with different variation but result is the same.

In the last attachment i tried align Normals before importing into substance but nothing happens what I'm doing wrong here..??

InkedSubstance_OBJ_LI.jpg

InkedSubstance_FBX_LI.jpg

InkedFaces_LI.jpg

UV map is most important part of project in SP. First try it on simple cube, create nice UVmap and export2SP...

Almost all additional channels/maps can be easily created/baked inside SP

• Topic Author
  • But what if I'm doing complex modeling i mean (See Attachment) for making this I'm using mesh Boolean Plug-in for C4D.

Mesh_Boolean.png

Looks indeed like a uv map issue. If the shape is too difficult, split it up in different uv parts. Could you show how the uv's look inside c4d? Does the issue occur if you set the mapping inside SP on triplanar mapping?

• Topic Author
  • yes..The first one is the map in C4D.

After applying paint setup wizard as material i got this result in UV map.(Attachment) than i import the model in SP and results are different improved from previous except one  issue  (See attachment) highlighted red.(same when i import FBX also)

0ee17f79b63d150330e271dfb6e0d6f4.png

1st.png

2nd.png

3rd.png

4rth.png

InkedSubstance_OBJ_Again_LI.jpg

You should be aware that the sort of UV map you get from doing it 1-click automatically via cubic / by angle in the paint setup wizard, whilst often perfunctory and get-awayable-wth, is never going to be as good as you'd get doing it properly by hand, and that's what's gonna give you the best maps for Substance.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • can you provide some good tutorial link for learning UV mapping in c4d or i should export this to Maya and uv there because one of my buddy said that the only thing cinema can't do properly is uv's so which one is best please suggest.

There are literally dozens of uv map tutorials on youtube. Even if they're not for c4d , the principles for all the other programs are the same. C4d does a perfect job with uv's.

Never had any problems with export to SP, you just have to put some time in it.

• Like 1

This, and the 2 that follow it will show you everything you need to know about UVing. People often slate the UV tools in Cinema, and sure, they aren't the best in the world, but @PrivatePolygon is totally right that they are more than capable of UVing anything if you put the effort into learning how it works.

CBR

• Like 3