HeyItsRoamer

Unremovable Weight Spots

Hi, I'm having an issue with the weight tool where large spots on my model have non-removable weight. And when animating, those spots tear apart the model. Are there any solutions for this? Has anyone else had this issue?

Capture.JPG

That is a very high poly mesh to be rigging - ideally you would be rigging a low poly version, and using SDS to subdivide it to this sort of detail.

We will need to see if there anything wrong with the model, so pls upload the scene file.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That is a very high poly mesh to be rigging - ideally you would be rigging a low poly version, and using SDS to subdivide it to this sort of detail.

We will need to see if there anything wrong with the model, so pls upload the scene file.

CBR

I can't, the file size is 300KB to big.

Ok, whack it up to dropbox / wetransfer or similar, and link it here instead...

OK, the problem is probably that you have stray points and therefore the model is not optimized. So select all points and run optimize to sort that out. Then you need re-bind the model to the bones to take that into account. However, my original point remains - this mesh is too high poly to effectively rig. You can do it, but if auto-weighting can't save you it's a lot of manual work painting weights.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

OK, the problem is probably that you have stray points and therefore the model is not optimized. So select all points and run optimize to sort that out. Then you need re-bind the model to the bones to take that into account. However, my original point remains - this mesh is too high poly to effectively rig. You can do it, but if auto-weighting can't save you it's a lot of manual work painting weights.

CBR

Alright, thanks for the help and advise!

Not sure about your weight problem, But Cerbera is right about the dense mesh.

I had a look at your file and if you take your low-poly base mesh and subdivide it once (With 'smooth subdivisions' turned on) it,s perfectly fine for rigging.

This might also solve your weight problem.

If not, keeping it low poly will make your life a whole lot easier ;)