Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

giangianni

Physical - standard renderer Lag

giangianni    8

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me solve this.

Premise: I usually tend to work with the physical renderer as my main renderer and I sometimes add some standard renderer passes which are faster with the SR or that are only achievable with it like a "Cel pass" for example. In the past I often used to do  my time remappings in C4D either with timetracks or by actually keyframing the animation to match my final wanted result. Now I tend to do time remappings straight in AE, generally by making sure that I will only need to speed the time up and not down.

Problem: I was working on a shot that definitely need some intricate timeremapping and since I wanted to have more control and avoid doing it in c4d, I changed my project settings to 50fps and exports settings at 50 fps so that I could have a nice and slow detailed export for more accurate timeremapping in ae. All good. Then I switched to the standard renderer for some custom passes and when I imported everything in ae I noticed that the standard render passes do not match the physical ones, meaning that there is  a lag between the 2 exports as if the camera of one is a few frames late compared to the other one, or as if the camera field of view is a bit different (not sure which of the two it is). The strange thing is that if I render everything at 25fps ( the original frame rate of the project) everything matches perfectly but as soon as I change it to 50fps then this lag occurs. Any idea of what the problem may be?  

Thanks as usual.

giangianni    8
  • Topic Author
  • hey there, since I have not received any replies to my post and since I am still dealing with the problem, I've decided to submit an update.

I had found a workaround to the issue but not really a solution, I am updating this post hoping that perhaps someone can help me out. 

Here's a short screen capture so that you can see the problem. When I play the animation, you'll notice a quick change in the distance between the motorbike and the camera. Now that is already rather odd, but what is worse (and here we go back to the main problem), is that that difference between when it's playing and when it's not is the very same difference between my physical renders and my standard ones. If you look deeper you'll notice that the change does not occur in the environment which stays the same during play and stop mode, it is just on the main subject, so I believe the problem is somehow connected to the align to spline set up which has some expresso driving it etc...(ok the prob may be there although I have not found anything wrong to be honest), but why the difference in the 2 render engines??? I just cannot figure this out. And the frame rate aspect that I posted initially is also freaking me out.  It makes no sense.

ScreenCapture01.mp4

Cerbera    1,973
    15 minutes ago, giangianni said:

Do i get a nomination for toughest question ?

No, there aren't any awards for that :)

CBR

giangianni    8
  • Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, there aren't any awards for that :)

CBR

Well...thanks Cerbera, at least I got one answer on this post ;) And now I am also sure that the silence on the other question is because mine is actually  THE TOUGHEST ONE and an award would be just too obvious!!! :-))))

Cerbera    1,973

I'd love to help my friend, but I literally have no ideas why that's happening :/ Have you tried dropping MAXON a support mail ?

CBR

giangianni    8
  • Topic Author
  • I will. Luckly the environment just needs a wireframe look so it gets rendered out with cel and strangely enough the environment is not affected by the issue, (that's why I think the problem is actually linked to my align to spline set up), so then I do the bike with the physical which despite the view port issue renders out correctly, so it's just a pain while working in order to make sure the bike is framed correctly all the time throughout the animation (because the correct position of the bike is when the animation is not playing: closer to the cam) but the end result is good so...no big deal.

Thanks as usual for support.

DeCarlo    68
    On 2/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, giangianni said:

align to spline set up which has some expresso driving it etc...(ok the prob may be there although I have not found anything wrong to be honest)

Did you double-check the Priority settings on the Align to Spline tag and the Xpresso tag? Depending what you've got set up, one should be prioritized over the other - otherwise the calculations conflict and your object's PSR would become inconsistent.  It wouldn't shock me that C4D might calculate those things slightly differently between render engines, so that a conflict only arises in one. 

The fps thing is really weird, though. Are you using "Previous Position" to create a delay in your Xpresso? That would inherently change the output when you switch your frame rate because it would be looking back half as far.

• Like 1
    • Awesome 1

giangianni    8
  • Topic Author
  • On 10/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, DeCarlo said:

Did you double-check the Priority settings on the Align to Spline tag and the Xpresso tag? Depending what you've got set up, one should be prioritized over the other - otherwise the calculations conflict and your object's PSR would become inconsistent.  It wouldn't shock me that C4D might calculate those things slightly differently between render engines, so that a conflict only arises in one. 

The fps thing is really weird, though. Are you using "Previous Position" to create a delay in your Xpresso? That would inherently change the output when you switch your frame rate because it would be looking back half as far.

Man.... you deserve a nomination for solving the TOUGHEST QUESTION of 2018!!!! (with Cerbera's approval of course :-) ) Wow I just iverted the order in my object manager of the two elements in the attached screen capture and the problem is gone. I haven't checked if everything matches between the engines yet and neither have I for the frame rate issue, but the viewport problem is gone which leads me to think that all the other ones may be gone too. I'll do a check as soon as I can and let you know. A big thanks.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

DeCarlo    68
    3 hours ago, giangianni said:

Man.... you deserve a nomination for solving the TOUGHEST QUESTION of 2018!!!

Honestly, the priority setting is such a common problem that I was really surprised no one else had mentioned it already.  I'm glad it appears to be working for you now.

giangianni    8
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, DeCarlo said:

Honestly, the priority setting is such a common problem that I was really surprised no one else had mentioned it already.  I'm glad it appears to be working for you now.

true, I myself am surprised I hadn't thought about it, although I must say that the engine problem was a bit deceptive and that is why I found your suggestion pretty smart.