Sign in to follow this  
partypooper

Skeleton which duplicates Character rig

Hello everyone,

I am terrible at rigging manually and I love animating with the built-in Character object. Specifically, I am using the advanced quadruped. 

However, I need to export the animation to Unity (a game engine).

I've spent a week trying to export it using FBX but it just seems broken. Neither the baking procedures or the CV-smartExport plugin worked. (Legs are disconnected from the spine.)

Since Unity prefers FK rigs (requires even IK to be baked), I came up with this idea that maybe I could set up an identical rig where the joints would be constrained to move as the joints in the Character object. I have tried using constraints but it acts kind of funky.

Are constraints the right way to go? Is this possible? Should I use some scripts or Xpresso?... I am new to C4D and would like some advice on how to do this:) 

Thank you!!

• Topic Author
  • Thank you bentraje for the reply!

The problem with the FBX export can be seen when you set up the advanced quadruped (and perhaps this is a problem with other rigs too) and import the exported FBX back to C4D: the legs then no longer follow the spine...

I have just successfully made the extra joints with constraints!  There are still some obstacles such as that the weights from the Character object are different to the weights from the Bind command and that the extra FK joints need to be baked. Nevertheless, it works and I can hopefully use the Character object :).

I think that this setup is even better than having to work with just the Character object due to the performance I need: using the fancy toe-tips and two joints for the neck would be too expensive for this low-poly model. This way I can simplify things by having fewer joints.

To sum up, I am pretty happy right now :D and I highly recommend this setup for people struggling with this.

And btw, C4D workflow seems so much faster than Maya! Everything seems so intuitive and the UI even looks way better! 

10 minutes ago, partypooper said:

The problem with the FBX export can be seen when you set up the advanced quadruped (and perhaps this is a problem with other rigs too) and import the exported FBX back to C4D: the legs then no longer follow the spine...

If you have cinivercity subscription the CV Smart export will deal with this.  This should be native to C4D as without it as you have found out it wont export correctly.

11 minutes ago, partypooper said:

And btw, C4D workflow seems so much faster than Maya! Everything seems so intuitive and the UI even looks way better! 

Thats good to hear, lets hope MAXON brings some updates to the character tool to give more Maya users to consider C4D.