Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Sign in to follow this  
davidlaroque

Skateboard animation

Hi

I'm trying to animate a skateboard in Cinema 4D. I've tried rigging it with 3 nulls but can't get the nulls to follow the rotation of each one. Kind of like this example -

When it comes to animating the board to go up and down a half pipe, what would be the best way to do it? Manually keyframing and tweaking the motion path?

D

Cerbera    1,973

Hello, and welcome to the cafe

I suspect us 3D-heads might need a refresher on our skateboard terms :) You might need to explain what a half pipe is to the uninitiated !

CBR

Cerbera    1,973

Just the skateboard, or a person on it as well ?

CBR

davidlaroque    1
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Just the skateboard, or a person on it as well ?

CBR

Just the skate board. I want to be able to rotate it around 3 points as well. Similar to that example.

But I don't know how to link 3 nulls together and have them parented to each other and rotate together (If that makes sense)

Cerbera    1,973
    17 minutes ago, davidlaroque said:

But I don't know how to link 3 nulls together and have them parented to each other and rotate together (If that makes sense)

You don't so much link nulls as just put them in a hierarchy that suits your purposes, and physically place them in correct positions relative to each other. 

But that rig looks a lot more complicated than just a few nulls. What you really want is tutorial for how to make that rig, and I haven't found one of those so far.

CBR

davidlaroque    1
  • Topic Author
  • Okay, I guess the part I was trying to figure out is. Is there a way to have an object pivot from multiple points? Here's a file showing the 3 points I want it to pivot from.

pivot.c4d

Cerbera    1,973
    9 minutes ago, davidlaroque said:

Is there a way to have an object pivot from multiple points?

No, and that is the key to understanding this, and why a hierarchy of nulls is necessary, so that you can have multiple transformation points in your model. TBH my expertise is in modelling, so I am not the best person to advise on building this - I think one of our rigging experts will be able to help a lot more than I can.

CBR

digitvisions    129

Hi, i have rigged sliders via xpresso to front and back wheels it's still wip. the problem at the moment is that to animate the front wheels the back have to be zeroed. will have another go later here it is for you to dissect:

skateboard_WIP.c4d

• Like 1
    • Namaste 1

digitvisions    129

Looking at the setup in the video, i think they have used a similar setup as in character foot roll.