• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
davidlaroque

Linear color space colours?

Hey,

I was watching this tutorial from HelloLuxx - https://helloluxx.com/tutorials/after-effects-2/after-effects-compositing/cinema4d-to-after-effects-and-back-again/

One thing I couldn't figure out is that I've been given specific RGB values to use and when I set up my after effects project to work in Linear color space, the RGB values are different and all have different values.

Thanks,

D

It's hard to answer that directly as we would have to know exactly what you've done and the order in which you'e done it. You really haven't given much detail.

Color profiles and file formats along with a Linear Workflow play a part in consistency. 

This additional HelloLuxx blog post might help answer your question or give you greater detail about a Linear Workflow between After Effects and Cinema 4D https://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-rendering/linear-workflow-in-cinema4d-and-after-effects/

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, ABMotion said:

It's hard to answer that directly as we would have to know exactly what you've done and the order in which you'e done it. You really haven't given much detail.

Color profiles and file formats along with a Linear Workflow play a part in consistency. 

This additional HelloLuxx blog post might help answer your question or give you greater detail about a Linear Workflow between After Effects and Cinema 4D https://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-rendering/linear-workflow-in-cinema4d-and-after-effects/

I made a colour palette with specific RGB values I want to use. When I changed my project settings to Linear workflow and 32 bit, the colour changed to be lighter and more pale looking.

I can't seem to type in RGB values ranging from 0-255 when I'm in linear workflow 32 bit.

Hope that makes a bit more sense?

Will take a look at that link, cheers!

12 minutes ago, davidlaroque said:

I made a colour palette with specific RGB values I want to use. When I changed my project settings to Linear workflow and 32 bit, the colour changed to be lighter and more pale looking.

I can't seem to type in RGB values ranging from 0-255 when I'm in linear workflow 32 bit.

Therein perhaps lies the basis of your misunderstanding of the issue. 32 bit color uses the range 0.0 - 1.0 with incremental decimals in between and is not in the range of 0-255 which is an 8 bit range. 16 bit uses the range 0-32768.

Gamma plays a part and final output for standard screens is usually 8 bit/sRGB, so ultimately it all ends up there.

Read the article I linked above and also read the comments below as that will give you additional information.

An additional article that might help clarify it is https://www.cineversity.com/wiki/Linear_Workflow/

Honestly, it is a hard subject for many and can take a while to truly understand it completely, so persevere.

• Topic Author
  • Okay mate, I will read those when I have some more time. So if I have 8 bit RGB values I want to use. Am I able to convert them somehow?

Do you tend to always use linear workflow? It seems like working in 8 bit without it seems simpler. Am I able to do a multipass render without using linear workflow from cinema 4d?

What would you do in this situation? A client has given you specific RGB values and you were using linear workflow 32 bit in AE?

There are so many factors to answering your question and that is why I'm trying to pass on further information on the fundamentals of what's going on when using a Linear workflow. Without knowing your project and all the specific settings you've used it's hard to help much further.

Linear workflow shouldn't really be a factor in your case. A Linear workflow is designed to make files more compatible between programs by removing the factors that cause color issues within the file, but then Color Profiles, which are separate, play a factor in what you actually see on your screen. Standard displays cannot show 32 bits of color information fully. It is interpreting it to 8 bit all the time and that can be where you get unexpected changes. Gamma of 2.2 with sRGB is correcting for standard displays as we have them and may be where you are getting brighter than expected colors if using a Gamma of 1 for instance viewing at 2.2 would make images brighter. Check you are using both Linear and the same color profile (usually sRGB) in both pieces of software. This information is in the HelloLuxx article I linked to above.

Here is an additional article and video by GreyscaleGorilla on the subject https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/what-is-linear-workflow-and-how-can-it-help-your-renders-look-better/

I remember having this problem a while ago where things were rendering fine in the viewport (where they render in 8 bit), but coming out over-exposed in the render view when using 32 bit...

I cannot remember where I got a tip from (probably here at the Cafe), but in the Picture Viewer window, go to the filters tab and enable filter, then set the Gamma to .4545 (which is 1  divided by the gamma 2.2). The 32 bit renders then show up fine in both windows.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Nick